Fallout 3 maxing CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
This is just plain strange. FO3 used to run great on my rig, even after I moved to 64-bit Vista. Now, however, it maxes out one of my CPU cores when an enemy shows up, giving me a frame every 10-15 seconds.

I have already went through several different video drivers (8.12, 9.1, 8.11, and now DNA), so I know it's not a driver of GFX issue. It may be from the patch. Possibly could be a mod, but i don't know of any that would cause this.

It does not involve water, or V.A.T.S., or anything like that.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Not that I can tell. It hums along fine until an enemy shows up... and not every time then. When it does, though, it's like the game is on pause with a few jumps here and there.

you should reinstall the game and get it updated, btw did you get the latest patch
that game is very picky, did the same thing on mine but at random times then i reinstalled and installed latest patch and beat the game in like 10 days lol

you should reinstall the game and get it updated, btw did you get the latest patch
that game is very picky, did the same thing on mine but at random times then i reinstalled and installed latest patch and beat the game in like 10 days lol

:eek: You beat Fallout 3 in 10 days?

Good Lord....that must have been like a greatest race episode!

:eek: You beat Fallout 3 in 10 days?

Good Lord....that must have been like a greatest race episode!

i probably beat it in the same time...i just no lifed it daily :p

only thing i can suggest is do a reinstall..and slowly add patches until something messes up and call it the bad egg :(

"It may be from the patch." <<< from the OP

I am considering a reinstall, just to see if it works or not. Thus far each time I have reinstalled all my saved games become unusable.

Your save games will be fine if you reinstall. I'll bet the issue was when you went to Vista 64bit. At that point your save game files would not be compatible (from the 32bit OS). I think there's an option when you uninstall to delete the profile data, just say NO.

I'm at >4% fragmentation, so I think I'm good with that.

I will try reinstalling later tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom