Dial up Gaming, One Big -.-

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikoman69

Daemon Poster
-.-
Not really, ive actually had a decent experiance.
Since its all i can get out here in the middle of no where, i thought id make the best of it. Got myself an external hardware controlled modem, done tons of modem tweaks and whatnot. Got my download speed at about 6kb +/- (Good for dial up is any of you have ever had to experiance it) and my ping is about 160 + server lag. All games run fine, except shooters, which happen to be my favorite. There playable by all means, but the accuracy just isnt there. Call of duty 2 anti lag feature is great though, i can actually play it and do good. Today, this server was running good for me, won 4 games in a row (8 player DM up to 50, i got to 50 and second place was at about 30!) CS 1.6, is a different story, i can only get about 1/8 kills i attempt. RTS's run great, since split second accuracy is not a detail.

Anyone else here got any dial up gaming experiance? any tips?

Also, im looking for a good game that is fun to play online, and doesnt require insane split second accuracy.

Update
The original unreal is also playable (with accuracy) on servers with ping mods.

how are you playing games at that speed, most games require a minimum of 128kbps? i have dial up (a max of 2 kbps download (i have an internal modem)), how much was the external modem you have and which one is it?

For one, the more players, the more upstream and downstream you need. Ive read for cs 1.6, for each player in the game, you have 4kbps of downstream/upstream.
I have a trendnet external modem model tfm-560x. ~$25
Try these dial up tweaks.
Tweak your 56k dial-up modem

When i used to game on dial up, ill admit, i cried a little bit.

But ya, just close vent, aim, and ie7 or firefox or watever and just deal with it. But if you ever upgrade to dsl or cable your going to jizz yourself.... i only did it last year actually and i still go "wow.... so fast *sob* its a dream come true"

i was on dial up for a year, i couldnt play multiplayer games i would cry irl, im so glad i moved out of the boonies and into the city with my 10 meg cable connection now lol

Yea, but its nice to live out on the countryside, especially here in michigan.

My normal pingings
UT04-160
UT-160
COD2-240
CS1.6-200
Halo-200
Guild Wars-300

One question, does cod4s multiplayer ping/run about the same as cod2s??

Yea, but its nice to live out on the countryside, especially here in michigan.

My normal pingings
UT04-160
UT-160
COD2-240
CS1.6-200
Halo-200
Guild Wars-300

One question, does cod4s multiplayer ping/run about the same as cod2s??

That sucks. COD4 has it's own pinging problems, I have a cable and i'm always getting "connection interuptions" so f-ing annoying. I don't know if its common or not though, no one else seems to complain, but its the only game I have the does it.

Update punkbuster, that what i had to do to get cod2 to even run online. And i get occasional lag were i get connection interupted, but its gone in 5 seconds about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom