Counter Strike Source, 5 Years On

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never really felt CSS was realistic mainly because of the damage system the game uses and the unrealistic sniping (scope doesn't move and if you move your bullet goes in a completely random direction even though your scope isn't aiming there), not to mention how much luck factors in terms of bullet spray (the best you can do is adjust for recoil to increase your odds but still a roll of the dice; more so than any other shooter I've played).

Also, other than SMGs being overpowered, hardcore mode in CoD4 is still more fun than regular mode IMO. Radar and UAV should never have been implemented in CoD in my opinion, and hit indicators are BS, especially in hardcore mode (what? I can't check my ammo but I can tell if my bullets hit a person through a wall?).

I don't think CoD, Battlefield, or Counter-Strike should be considered realistic. Insurgency, Ghost Recon, America's Army, Rainbow Six (used to anyway, the series got pretty crap as of late if you ask me) and some others I forget are what I consider realistic.

yep that sounds just like my son....thru walls.....they just shoot at a certain place on the map....because they know someone will be heading there shortly, they know just where to put that cross hair for a head shot, without even seeing you....it is just plain crazy.

Yeah, I've played with a pro player quite a few times, and he was really good. I didn't know him personally but he was a friend of my old CSS clan's leaders, so he would be a ringer for us in scrims sometimes. He was clowN who played for OptX, best player I've known in CSS.

YouTube - CS:S | Clown Wallbangs Storm - OptX wins over coL

But apparently he fell on some bad times. Not sure if or how much he plays anymore.
Once on TV, now just another gamer - Los Angeles Times

One of the things I like most about CSS is when I get the occasional killing spree going on, cause CSS just sucks if you aren't doing well. I always forget to screenshot/record my best moments but these are the best I actually took pics of.

This one was really awesome, last CT and aced the rest of the T's.

This is one I REALLY wished I was recording, so a damage history pic will have to do. Last T, almost managed to ace the rest of the CTs with Scout headshots but the last guy got me with a HE grenade. (they were all back to back, see the order of the kill notifications)

Those type of rounds usually kept me playing the game.

Also, other than SMGs being overpowered, hardcore mode in CoD4 is still more fun than regular mode IMO. Radar and UAV should never have been implemented in CoD in my opinion, and hit indicators are BS, especially in hardcore mode (what? I can't check my ammo but I can tell if my bullets hit a person through a wall?).

I don't think CoD, Battlefield, or Counter-Strike should be considered realistic. Insurgency, Ghost Recon, America's Army, Rainbow Six (used to anyway, the series got pretty crap as of late if you ask me) and some others I forget are what I consider realistic.

You don't have to keep saying "in my opinion," I think its understood by reasonable people whether or not something is an opinion or a fact.

I will comment on the COD hit indicators. I felt these were necessary due to the amount of smoke the guns create when firing in scope mode. Without a hit indicator it would be too hard to determine if your hitting the enemy from far range, and thus feel even more unsatisfying with less feedback then it already does. Hit indicators showing when the enemy is behind an object however, is definitely something that I think could be taken out since its very exploitable for obvious reasons.

Also every weapon has a fast fire rate is overpowered in hardcore mode :p I still think the mode detracts from a lot of the essential skills involved from the game, especially when you can enter a server with a m249 + deep impact, and get kills just by spraying all over the place :p

well,

I dno't hvae to sepll evrey wrod coectlrly, I thnik its unrdesotod by raesnobale poeple waht teh wrdos are.

But, in my opinion, I should spell them as correct as I can.

:p

I never really felt CSS was realistic mainly because of the damage system the game uses and the unrealistic sniping (scope doesn't move and if you move your bullet goes in a completely random direction even though your scope isn't aiming there), not to mention how much luck factors in terms of bullet spray (the best you can do is adjust for recoil to increase your odds but still a roll of the dice; more so than any other shooter I've played).

Yeah, I've played with a pro player quite a few times, and he was really good. I didn't know him personally but he was a friend of my old CSS clan's leaders, so he would be a ringer for us in scrims sometimes. He was clowN who played for OptX, best player I've known in CSS.

YouTube - CS:S | Clown Wallbangs Storm - OptX wins over coL

But apparently he fell on some bad times. Not sure if or how much he plays anymore.
Once on TV, now just another gamer - Los Angeles Times

One of the things I like most about CSS is when I get the occasional killing spree going on, cause CSS just sucks if you aren't doing well. I always forget to screenshot/record my best moments but these are the best I actually took pics of.

This one was really awesome, last CT and aced the rest of the T's.

This is one I REALLY wished I was recording, so a damage history pic will have to do. Last T, almost managed to ace the rest of the CTs with Scout headshots but the last guy got me with a HE grenade. (they were all back to back, see the order of the kill notifications)

Those type of rounds usually kept me playing the game.

They arn't that good. Heck, atleast half the people i play on a EGC Public server are that good.

edit:

Okay so some of the kills are above standard :p

They arn't that good. Heck, atleast half the people i play on a EGC Public server are that good.

edit:

Okay so some of the kills are above standard :p

I never really watched OptX, we were just discussing pro players and he's the only one I've actually talked to and played with over ventrilo. Of all the times I've played against him, he's always done very well. Not sure if he's the best but he's still a pro player.

I just posted that video in response to what Whirlwind was talking about, wallshots due to map knowledge.

I never really felt CSS was realistic mainly because of ... not to mention how much luck factors in terms of bullet spray (the best you can do is adjust for recoil to increase your odds but still a roll of the dice; more so than any other shooter I've played).

You don't think this game is realistic because random, dumb luck is a factor? Just what do you think a real firefight is like? More than likely, the guy who gets you had his eyes closed when he took the shot and that bullet didn't have your name on it, it was marked "resident."

On a lighter note, it amazes me that HL/CS is a 10 year old game and still more popular than any other FPS combined by almost any metric. And CSS! That's approaching 5 years now as well. I just returned from having spent three years overseas and when I look at all the game trackers, I see a few new titles but at the top, nothing has changed. CS 1.6 and CSS.

You don't think this game is realistic because random, dumb luck is a factor? Just what do you think a real firefight is like? More than likely, the guy who gets you had his eyes closed when he took the shot and that bullet didn't have your name on it, it was marked "resident."

On a lighter note, it amazes me that HL/CS is a 10 year old game and still more popular than any other FPS combined by almost any metric. And CSS! That's approaching 5 years now as well. I just returned from having spent three years overseas and when I look at all the game trackers, I see a few new titles but at the top, nothing has changed. CS 1.6 and CSS.

How can aiming your gun at a person's feet and the bullet's magically going up in a random spray be deemed realistic? Any game that does that, while not a bad mechanic per say, detracts from realism. Every game has luck, well except maybe a game like chess, I just feel CSS requires more luck than others substantially.

And for god's sake don't ever compare Counter-Strike to a real-life firefight.

That i will agree on. There is whole lot of "WTF BS !" moments and CS and a lot of luck.

Games like insurgency, if you get shot in that.. your gone.

with an automatic weapon if you aim at the person's feet and unload, quite a few of those shells will hit the person, depending on distance of course.
with an automatic pistol, especially a larger caliber like .40 or .45, the best way to incapacitate is to point at the crotch and pop 3 rounds off. 1 or 2 of those 3 will hit and stop whoever you are trying to stop.

on that note, i just won a new CSS on ebay for 10 bucks. i will prepare myself to be puh-owned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom