Can attempt to play HL: Lost Coast with a Radeon 9800?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kev946

Solid State Member
The first half life ran perfectly on high settings no AA or that other thing, just wanted to know if a Radeon 9800 would be able to support LOST COAST even on crap graphics, but this game cant have crap graphics so im just gonna say there "craptacular"

lost coast requires pixel shader 3.0

the only current cards that support PS 3.0 is the 6600 and 6800 series

I hate to say that current ATI users will have to get new cards for "The Lost Coast" mod. This will probably be ATI's attempt at pushing the R520, being as it will have Shader Model 3.0 and therefore be capable of running "The Lost Coast." This really sucks for those with X850XTs and X850XT PEs. They just payed major bucks for outdated hardware. This is why it is a grave mistake to get an ATI at this point.

Technically, ATI cards will be able to play "The Lost Coast", but not with the pretty HDR effects enabled. ATI users will see the same graphics that are seen in the original HL2, which are not shabby at all. I think the new HDR effects combined with the higher resolution textures of "The Lost Coast" gives it an Unreal 3-esque look. It will definately be the finest graphics seen in a game to date when it comes out.

Well, from the way I see it, even if any card out right now has the ability to process PS3.0, I don't think it's gonna be able to handle it very well. I've read around, and every source seems to agree that it's too taxing for any card out right now to be able to play with any AA and AF enabled with much luck.

I have a 9800 Pro currently, it is being replaced by a 6800GT, which I hope will last until PPUs are availible that can take some load off my GPU and CPU.

Yeah gaara, your exactly right even though it seems some people dont want to admit this

That's why their is no AA or AF in their HL2 HDR demo

beedubaya said:
Technically, ATI cards will be able to play "The Lost Coast", but not with the pretty HDR effects enabled. ATI users will see the same graphics that are seen in the original HL2, which are not shabby at all. I think the new HDR effects combined with the higher resolution textures of "The Lost Coast" gives it an Unreal 3-esque look. It will definately be the finest graphics seen in a game to date when it comes out.

Yea, im pretty pissed at ATI. I know that the game hardly looks like crap with and without 3.0 shaders. I just hate it that they didnt include them in my X850 XT. I do remind myself though its not like im stuck with a geforce 2 mx 400 lol.

There was also something i read that said that the coast level would be so demanding that only the absolute beefiest of machines could hope to run it with HDR on high rez.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom