64-bit better than 32-bit in gaming overall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildside

Hellfire!
i have 3GBs of RAM installed in my PC at the moment along with an HD 3870 x2 with 1GB VRAM. Right now, the computer isnt working n needs to be fixed (mobo problem). With the HD 4870 x2 coming out with 2GBs of VRAM, for me to utilize all of it, i definitely need to buy an OEM of 64-bit Vista Ultimate. I returned back my 2GBs of RAM for just 2 x 512mbs back in March, btw.

however, the question i have that needs to be answered is, if i had 64-bit, would i see a jump in gaming performance?

EDIT:

*Bonus Question*

what r the chances of me playing Crysis on the highest settings at 60 fps average on a 32-bit OS PC if i have the option to upgrade parts including my graphics card?

Yes and No

The performance gain you would see is from the parts that you will have not from the operating system. It is true that the 64bit supports more RAM, but its not the OS that has the performance gains, its the extra RAM that is supported

Most people don't realize that even if the OS is 64 Bit, most games will still be played in 32 Bit mode, crysis is one game where you have the choice to play in either mode, on the average games loss a few FPS in 64 bit modes, that will improve more and more as programs and games continue the push towards 64 bit..

Yes and No

The performance gain you would see is from the parts that you will have not from the operating system. It is true that the 64bit supports more RAM, but its not the OS that has the performance gains, its the extra RAM that is supported

Sorry but that is not true. There is a gain from running a 64 Bit OS. Not only just from being able to run more RAM but from running applicaitons that are designed to work on 64 Bit. 64 Bit can take full advantage of todays multicore CPU better than 32 Bit. There is more ways for data to transfer from the CPU to RAM to you and back.

That is just part of it. 64 Bit has many advantages over 32 Bit other than being able to recognize more RAM. Read up on Wikipedia about all of it.

64-bit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is so much more to running a 64 Bit OS than being able to use more RAM.

Cheers,
Mak

Most people don't realize that even if the OS is 64 Bit, most games will still be played in 32 Bit mode, crysis is one game where you have the choice to play in either mode, on the average games loss a few FPS in 64 bit modes, that will improve more and more as programs and games continue the push towards 64 bit..

that sucks...........

I think he meant this sucks "most games will still be played in 32 Bit mode"

Dauntae

From what I have been understanding,I am finding people sticking with 32-bit OS due to compatilbility issues with older games.

Personally i just wish they had only released vista in 64 bit. If you are trying to run vista on a 32bit cpu you are going to have issues due to the low processing power anyway. Hopefully windows 7 will come out 64bit only and get rid of this problem.

And right now, NOTHING is going to give you 60fps with all settings maxxed in crysis if you have play at 1680x1050 or larger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom