Half step/iterative consoles are dumb as hell

The lag thing is weird because that is the one game where I rarely get it. (Now that Overwatch is out you can add that to the zero lag list too) I know a lot of people are frustrated with lag in Destiny though.

As for the consoles, it will make it a lot easier to bear if they offer generous trade in prices to encourage people. I'm going to hold out though because I upgraded my HDD to 2TB and really don't think there will be an option to put that into a new unit. Hopefully I'm wrong though.
Overwatch is noticeably slow, Rocket League has bad FPS dips, and Destiny is just terrible sometimes. If I didn't play so much on PC I'd think it's normal or wouldn't notice (besides RL spawn/explosion is a 60 to 0 dip).

Look past your nose, the age of the bog standard console lasting 7-10 years is becoming a dinosaur thought because of how fast technology is advancing.

I have to say that I disagree.

For me at least--The beauty of console gaming has never been about having the latest and greatest technology.

The only time it ever matters, if at all, is when the system first comes out. The ooo and ahh factor is super fun, but once everyone has settled in, graphics no longer are the focus. The focus is on the games and the experience that it brings.

I realize that my post sounded PC negative, but it isn't. I just want my consoles to act like consoles...otherwise...I would have a PC for gaming.

The ONLY positive I can see from all of this is if "backwards compatibility" is no longer a term to describe playing older games on a more powerful machine.

I have to say that I disagree.

For me at least--The beauty of console gaming has never been about having the latest and greatest technology.

The only time it ever matters, if at all, is when the system first comes out. The ooo and ahh factor is super fun, but once everyone has settled in, graphics no longer are the focus. The focus is on the games and the experience that it brings.

I realize that my post sounded PC negative, but it isn't. I just want my consoles to act like consoles...otherwise...I would have a PC for gaming.

The ONLY positive I can see from all of this is if "backwards compatibility" is no longer a term to describe playing older games on a more powerful machine.
That's exactly the issue. The things being brought are too much for the older consoles to handle. One such experience, VR. Some don't care, but most do. Try playing VR under 90fps, you're gonna get sick.

One of the biggest focuses being 4k. It's an industry standard and here whether people want to admit it or not. We can't ever evolve if things don't progress. Being held back by one of the biggest sellers in the industry is a huge deal. That's why my first sentence is so relevant. The age of expecting 7-10 years for a console is gone, technology improves so fast now that you either adapt or get left behind. We're not in the age of PS1 and N64 anymore where everything is extremely new and emerging. GPUs are becoming 40-60% faster with each refresh and faster with each generational gap. You can't expect big money makers to hang around because somebody wants to sit on a 300 dollar device for a decade.

Last edited:
My favorite part about consoles, particularity xbox one was the lack of cheaters / hackers.
They have such a tight nit anti cheat. I guess that's the benefit of paying a monthly subscription. Meanwhile, I remember ps3 had rampant hackers when xbox 360 had a handle on it.

MY buddies and I play CS GO, one of the most popular PC / Steam games of all time, due to the ELITE power of PC's we get matched up with cheaters ALL THE DAMN TIME. Blatant cheaters about 1 in 30 games. Non blatant about 1 in 20 games.
These games can last an hr or more, so in essence were trapped... at a disadvantage.

Unless at a LAN, there is no way of knowing the other players aren't cheating. That fact alone somewhat ruins the PC experience if someone shouts "that dude is hacking" over the mic.
PC master race? Barley. I'd rather play a 100% fair game of pong over a photo-realistic, optimally ray traced war simulator.... with some dude with wall hacks.

My favorite part about consoles, particularity xbox one was the lack of cheaters / hackers.
They have such a tight nit anti cheat. I guess that's the benefit of paying a monthly subscription. Meanwhile, I remember ps3 had rampant hackers when xbox 360 had a handle on it.

MY buddies and I play CS GO, one of the most popular PC / Steam games of all time, due to the ELITE power of PC's we get matched up with cheaters ALL THE DAMN TIME. Blatant cheaters about 1 in 30 games. Non blatant about 1 in 20 games.
These games can last an hr or more, so in essence were trapped... at a disadvantage.

Unless at a LAN, there is no way of knowing the other players aren't cheating. That fact alone somewhat ruins the PC experience if someone shouts "that dude is hacking" over the mic.
PC master race? Barley. I'd rather play a 100% fair game of pong over a photo-realistic, optimally ray traced war simulator.... with some dude with wall hacks.
I caught and reported so many cheaters on Halo Reach it's not even funny. I've seen the same on Halo 5. They have controllers with mod chips that are undetectable and relatively cheap. You won't get banned for using an auto scope feature on it. You're going to have cheaters everywhere regardless of what platform you're on. It's the nature of the "12 year old millennial gamer generation". I dubbed it this because we didn't have this huge issue until 360 and PS3 got extremely popular with the younger crowd and CoD.

That's exactly the issue. The things being brought are too much for the older consoles to handle. One such experience, VR. Some don't care, but most do. Try playing VR under 90fps, you're gonna get sick.

One of the biggest focuses being 4k. It's an industry standard and here whether people want to admit it or not. We can't ever evolve if things don't progress. Being held back by one of the biggest sellers in the industry is a huge deal. That's why my first sentence is so relevant. The age of expecting 7-10 years for a console is gone, technology improves so fast now that you either adapt or get left behind. We're not in the age of PS1 and N64 anymore where everything is extremely new and emerging. GPUs are becoming 40-60% faster with each refresh and faster with each generational gap. You can't expect big money makers to hang around because somebody wants to sit on a 300 dollar device for a decade.

I can agree that 7-10 years might be a bit much these days, but 3 years is kind of ridiculous. These aren't cell phones. These are hearty home gaming systems.

4K is not anywhere close to a requirement to enjoy a game and PSVR is working on current gen systems without the extra power from PS4 Pro.

I can agree that 7-10 years might be a bit much these days, but 3 years is kind of ridiculous. These aren't cell phones. These are hearty home gaming systems.

4K is not anywhere close to a requirement to enjoy a game and PSVR is working on current gen systems without the extra power from PS4 Pro.
These are cheaper than cell phones by about half the cost of a flagship phone. Yet people are willing to shell out 800 bucks every 1-2 years. Whether it's via an upgrade paid over a 2 year contract or not, 600-800 still comes out of the bank account.

Yes, they are hearty home gaming systems that with each iteration lack behind the necessary power capable of playing what's on the forefront of gaming. It's been this way since the 360 and PS3 were released. Developers have to do a lot of wizardry to make these things work the way people expect they should. 1080p 60fps on a slow *** CPU and a 7850 GPU in 2013 was laughable, but people wanted it out of a PS4. You may not need or want 4k or deem it as necessary but the market has taken that direction because just like when 1080p was becoming mainstream with "them new fangled H DEE EM EYE cables and muh high deff" 4k is here and now people are complaining all over again. Once people start playing 4k they'll wonder how they even dealt with 1080p, just like the move from SD to HD. As somebody who's on the front of tech most always I see it time and time again. "Well I don't need this bull****, they just want us to pay more money for something I don't want". *3 years later* "Holy **** I'd never be able to live without this now".

PSVR on the older console is going to get treated with very dull graphics and a lower framerate. Most games are struggling to do 1080p 60fps with the hardware that's there, so I'm not sure how some people will feel once they get a headset and realize the graphics are turned way down for a VR experience.

These are cheaper than cell phones by about half the cost of a flagship phone. Yet people are willing to shell out 800 bucks every 1-2 years. Whether it's via an upgrade paid over a 2 year contract or not, 600-800 still comes out of the bank account.

Yes, they are hearty home gaming systems that with each iteration lack behind the necessary power capable of playing what's on the forefront of gaming. It's been this way since the 360 and PS3 were released. Developers have to do a lot of wizardry to make these things work the way people expect they should. 1080p 60fps on a slow *** CPU and a 7850 GPU in 2013 was laughable, but people wanted it out of a PS4. You may not need or want 4k or deem it as necessary but the market has taken that direction because just like when 1080p was becoming mainstream with "them new fangled H DEE EM EYE cables and muh high deff" 4k is here and now people are complaining all over again. Once people start playing 4k they'll wonder how they even dealt with 1080p, just like the move from SD to HD. As somebody who's on the front of tech most always I see it time and time again. "Well I don't need this bull****, they just want us to pay more money for something I don't want". *3 years later* "Holy **** I'd never be able to live without this now".

PSVR on the older console is going to get treated with very dull graphics and a lower framerate. Most games are struggling to do 1080p 60fps with the hardware that's there, so I'm not sure how some people will feel once they get a headset and realize the graphics are turned way down for a VR experience.

The first time I played a PC game on a PC of my own, I was amazed at how much better 3D graphics looked. It was then and there that I realized these consoles were different machines.

Graphics and tech do lag behind on a console and yes, it is laughable compared to a PC of now, but this is my point.

Consoles are different and I don't like the mixing of the races.

The first time I played a PC game on a PC of my own, I was amazed at how much better 3D graphics looked. It was then and there that I realized these consoles were different machines.

Graphics and tech do lag behind on a console and yes, it is laughable compared to a PC of now, but this is my point.

Consoles are different and I don't like the mixing of the races.
It's not really a mixing of races. The bottom line being this:

You got developers who were making exclusives for particular platforms last gen due to how widely different the architectures on each platform were. They fixed that issue by utilizing practically the same chipset for both consoles that just happen to be x86 architecture. This makes it extremely easy to make the game once and (for the case of UE4) click a button that says Xbox or PS4. Thing is, it's not just graphics that's a big deal, but it is part of it. Latency, framerate, fidelity, and most importantly experience all play keys in a game. Even you yourself said it'd be unfair due to rendering distances and framerate advantages. Other things to consider are the other techs in game that are being brought that require more horsepower. AI is a HUGE thing. How many people complain about retarded AI in games? Aha, this can be taken care of by compute shaders but wait, they're already being utilized to increase framerates to acceptable levels on the aging hardware. Oh but 7 CPU cores right? Nope, AI usually runs on one thread small scale soooo that's ruled out because Jaguar cores are slow. Gotta keep it where it can be. "Stop right there criminal scum!" "But but, I accidentally attacked a chicken" "Doesn't matter! Programmers can only put so much into my AI algorithm so now pay a fine". The final part really is graphics because when you have sites that compare Xbox, Playstation, and PC you have whiners because we get all the graphics. Then you got the ones that take the high road of "well I don't play for the graphics". Then why aren't you playing an SNES because we all know those games were so much better. On the flip side, you got devs that will showcase a game and get flack because they had to scale down the fidelity because the hardware couldn't handle it *cough* Ubisoft *cough*.

Back to 4k from before, that's the next big thing. 50" 4k screens can be had for less than 500 bucks now at Walmart. That's stupid cheap and I see a lot of rednecks walking out with 4k screens, but I also see a LOT of people complaining about there being no 4k content. Well if people start upgrading the boxes that connect to their shiny new TVs we'll start seeing content. Boom, perfect opportunity for new consoles. 4k media. So it's not just 4k games.

Sure, I have a badass PC, but I'm a gamer. I play anything that plays games. That means I play consoles too. I see things from both sides, but the reality to the situation is if we're held back by consoles yet another gen all the cool tech we see coming out won't ever be implemented. I just bought a $548 Taken King PS4. You think I want to drop another $399 for a PS4 Pro just so I don't lag in Destiny? Hell no, but I will just to keep advancing and it'll make a difference in gameplay of all types. I ignore the slim refresh models always.

I see things from both sides, but the reality to the situation is if we're held back by consoles yet another gen all the cool tech we see coming out won't ever be implemented. I just bought a $548 Taken King PS4. You think I want to drop another $399 for a PS4 Pro just so I don't lag in Destiny? Hell no, but I will just to keep advancing and it'll make a difference in gameplay of all types. I ignore the slim refresh models always.

It sort of seems like you're making the "consoles hold the PC back" argument.

If you're buying a PS4 Pro because you "just keep advancing" and are getting it to avoid the lag, then you're proving out my original point.

Right now everyone is on the same footing for the most part if they are playing Destiny on a PS4. That is one of the KEY FACTORS in what makes a console special and they are about to take that away.

My name is Lastplace09 and I think iterative consoles are dumb as hell.

Back
Top Bottom