new person to help out ^.^

Status
Not open for further replies.

killerkris14

Beta member
im pursuing a career in network securities ... AKA hacking to prevent hackers

i need to know if any one here can tell me a fiew programs in witch to familiarize my self with so i can get the edge...

if you know some programs please post them if you know of some tutorial websites for this line of work please post them.

if you are in that line of work any good to know tips would be nice.

i read it but you was mainly talking about the degrees thanks for that but do you know of any programs that i should familiarize with.... some one told me about something called a sandbox... supposed be a fake operating space to test if programs or files are safe to c how they react to the environment or something like that can you tell me a little about that?

EDIT: or even some things i should test like maby.... idk ... try to gain access of my other computer from this on for something any thing please i get borde easy i would like to know where to start....kother than a degree i am working on that but thats not a overnight thing

thanks

You'll want to familiarize yourself with IDSs (Intrusion Detection Systems) and IPSs (Intrusion Prevention Systems). Honeypots are also something to look at.
Learn about encryption and hashing to secure files, as well types of VPN's and which/how they should be used.
Learn how to analyze network traffic.
All things from controlling door/room access to data leakage on USB drives for those pesky social engineer's.
Certificates are something to look at.

As for tools, there are some extremely powerful ones out there but unfortunately they are also used by crackers who have abused them. So I don't believe I can help you out there since the forum is highly against cracking information.

+1 to Cntdwns comment (love Megadeth BTW)

Learn a *nix--preferably Fedora based. Learn it inside and out, mostly from command line. Join a security site (like AstaLavista, etc) and listen--I say that because some people go in there and are like "I want to learn security/hack/whatever" and they are usually flamed.

Read the book hacking exposed (theres like 3 or 4 now), and if you really want to learn a lot start reading the CISSP prep material (after you have a basic understanding and functional knowledge)

I stressed degrees and certs in the other one because without those you will not get a good job in Info Sec

thank you both i have been scowering the inter web for all this stuff i got alot now...... CntdwnToExtn is there any way to Email the name of the powerful program to my so i know what it is?

I don't think he will because as he said its against the rules. If you want to know what programs that most security people and crackers use visit some security forums (not trying to encourage you not to visit here though) and look at posts. I know if you join Asta as a premium member you are entitled to download a DVD with a bunch of tools on it. Or you download a security specific linux distro and see what tools it offers

And remember this, there is a huge difference between a script kiddie and someone that can actual write his own exploits/programs

It has been discussed and when CntdwnToExtn comes back on the site i am sure he will be happy to provide you with some name. The thing to remember is this. We are going to help guide you in the right direction for the programs to find that are used. We will not support the use of these items. Meaning we give you the name, you find out how to use them. We wont answer any questions in regards to how to use them or what they are used for.

I'll post this information for educational use or for SecAdmins testing their own network.

This first one is IMO the supreme and really cuts down on my list (so after this I'll just list tools I find would be the most common)

The Linux distro Backtrack - A distro derived from Knoppix/Whoppix and SLAX. This is a bootable Live cd that includes a large amount of tools built in. Everything from sniffers to password cracking, wireless (WEP, WPA) cracking, browser exploitation framework. The list goes on and on. The first time I booted this all I could say was "whoa".

Others include:

Nmap - This is a port scanner. Port scanning is not illegal, but it's not legal either. Nmap collects what program is running on that port, what version and build number. With one simple website check, you can find exploits (if there is a known one) for that program. Use this ONLY on your network as ISPs get ticked off when it's used. It's like going through a woman's purse. You shouldn't be getting all the information that's in there, but you're not taking anything either.

Cain & Abel - This is a 'Microsoft Password Recovery' tool. Note the quote I put around it. This program can brute-force, dictionary attack and do cryptanalysis on passwords. It can hack wireless keys, find cached passwords, record VoIP (holy snap, as I typed 'VoIP' there was a commercial playing and it said VoIP...whoa!). It can also analyze protocols.

Ophcrack - I've not used this yet, but I guess it's the same as Cain & Abel but it's bootable from USB. Hence you do not need a user account for it to run. Cain & Abel needs at least Guest.

Telnet - Ya, it's not impressive anymore but hey, some old schooler could be out there. I still use it. I have programs that still use it. You are directly connected to the machine so anything you type is ran on that server.

Batch files - Ya, just as old as Telnet but if you allow users to run batch files, they can do some pretty impressive stuff to circumvent the systems.

VicSpy, Aradanax - Keyloggers. Capture keystrokes, screen shots, etc. These usually get picked up by anti-virus unless they are breaking edge new.

Wireshark
- This is a network sniffer. ANY data being communicated over the network is captured by this program. If there is a non-secured connection on the network, this thing will let you see the exact data being transferred. Of course you need to know how to read it but basic networking courses teach that.

RATs - Remote Administration Tool's. Slip a trojan in, you can full access of their PC, basically see what they are doing with a screen shot being fed to you.

There are many, many more tools but basically Backtrack takes care of a huge chunk.

There are other techniques as well. These will get you started;

Websites:
SQL Injection - Basically confusing SQL and having it just hand over access.
Cross-Site Scripting - Usually used for cookie stealing.
RFI/LFI (Remote/Local File Include) - Able to upload a file to the server and have it execute what you want.

Botnets and Zombies - These guys are responsible for the approx 230 billion spam messages PER DAY. Uses command and control servers that generate URL's. Massive amounts of high jacked computers (most people are unaware they have been) send out spam after spam. You can purchase software on the black market to control these boys. The top nets are: Rustock, Mega-D (my fav lol), Festi, Pushdo and Grum.

Phishing - This is clicking on links that mirror the looks of legit sites, usually banking. You go to a site that looks EXACTLY like your banks site. You enter your account number and password and it takes your info and then passes it a long to the legit site. Usually these come in email from saying "There was a problem with your account and you need to sign in". PayPal has been hit like this quite a few times.

Network attacks:
Man in the middle - intercepting communication then forwards fake information
Replay - Same as man in the middle but doesn't touch the info. Just records and and sends it on it's way.
TCP/IP Hijacking - setting up fake network devices, spoofing MAC's.
DoS - Denial of Service attacking. Flooding a server with a massive amount of bogus requests.
DDoS - Using a massive amount of computers to send a massive amount of bogus requests to a server.
Smurf Attacks - Tricks computers into sending false responses

Unfortunately, what I have listed is only the beginning into Security Administration. There is still other problems such as data leakage, social engineering, policies, authentication types, etc.

I hope this helps though as a start.
If anyone would like to correct me or explain something better, please do.

Do a google search for wargames servers. Also check out IRC rooms--one piece of advice about that though--listen more than you talk and ask intelligent questions (not saying you're not but some on there can get quite snippy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom