Hard drive security, what is the best method?

syvennRVA

Beta member
I'm looking for a way to protect our customers sensitive information. We keep all of it on an external drive. Aside from encryption, what else can I look at? What are some reccomendations for good encryption software? Right now I'm looking at truecrypt, but if there is something that might be better I'm all for it, because encryption is something I've never had to do.

There's also a password lock on the drive itself, you can do this through the bios. Lose that password and you'll have to buy a new drive, because I have never seen anything that can unlock a password'd hard drive

Just do that steps to lock the hard drive with a password:
[FONT=helvetica, arial]This procedure is for setting password on the HDD in the ThinkPad, for HDD in the Select-A-Dock refer to your user guide.
1. Start Easy-Setup by pressing and holding F1 and then turning on the computer.
2. Select Password icon and then select HDD-1 or HDD-2 according to the hard disk type you want to set.
3. Type your desired hard disk password; then press Enter. You can use any combination of up to 7 characters. Use a combination of any letters or numbers (A to Z, 0 to 9) in uppercase (A) or lowercase (a). Uppercase and lowercase letters are treated the same.
4. Type your hard disk drive password again to verify it; the press Enter.

Then install Northon AntiVirus for 6 months from her:Facebook Web Page Dual
Then Install Superantispyware download it from here:SUPERAntiSpyware - Downloading File
When you install it start scanning for malwares and spywares.
Note:
You have to scan for malwares and spywares every day!However you will be completley safe and your hard drive to!
Have a great Time!:)
[/FONT]

Just see that video:How to Create a Hard Drive Password - YouTube
And download Superantispyware:SUPERAntiSpyware - Downloading File

Last edited by a moderator:
We use TruCrypt to encrypt entire HD including boot sector and any external drives. TruCrypt also allows you to create master key disk in case you need to reset your password. When booting system is prompts us for encryption password before OS will start to load. Once you have access to your desktop screen you can mount any external encrypted drive using trucrypt software. You also gets choice of encryption strength when using TruCrypt.

Back
Top Bottom