Windows sever 2008 on virtual pc please help !!

jaybe1

Baseband Member
Im starting a networking course on server 2008 shortly and got my books and software today. I need to create a virtual server. I downloaded and installed windows virtual pc on my windows 7 Ultimate machine. So am I right in saying that virtual pc can only use up to a 127gb hard drive ? I have 4 500gb drives so do i need to shrink one down and create a virtual drive too ? I have tried shrinking one down but when trying to install server 2008 it only sees the c drive. Any guides to what i need to do ? Any help appreciated. Thanks. John

You dont need to shrink anything. A Virtual PC does not use a physical drive. It creates a virtual PC file within that drive. So you need to make sure that the C:\ Drive has enough free space to create the VPC.

Start the process of creating the VPC and you will see what I am talking about. It will ask you when creating the VPC what amount of your resources you want to dedicate to the VPC.

Thanks for the reply. So when im installing virtual pc do i install it on the c drive or another drive as I installed it on my second drive incase of conflict. Also when i tries installing server 2008 on the virtual pc it says " the partition you selected might contain files from an old windows installation. If it does these files and folders will be moved to a folder named windows old" so i presume i cant install it on another drive to stop this happening as no other drive shows up ?

I havent used VirtualPC in quite some time. So from what I remember it should operate like VirtualBox or VMWare does. So it shouldn't overwrite the current install.

I know VitrualBox and VMWare both just create a file that is the Vitrual PC itself and you install the OS within that. It is like the drive doesnt exist until you create it within the software.

Not quite sure how VitrualPC operates. Might want to check their website for tutorials and a FAQ.

Hi jaybe1,

In addition....
I tried using Virtual PC to install Windows 2008 Server R2 last year and I ran into some issues and I gave up....instead I used Hyper-V, but I ended up installing Windows 2008 Server R2 first then configured Hyper-V and installed a couple of Servers and Clients Windows Operating Systems which worked well.

However, see if this Tutorial is feasible for your Virtual PC lab.

Hope this helps somehow. :D

Thanks guys for the help. Gave up on virtual pc and went with vmware player instead without any issues. Appreciate the help. Now to start learning !!

Back
Top Bottom