I'm looking for a cop of Windows Server.

Truth Carnage - it's a pain. Easiest solution i've found is add the 2012 to your domain, add what roles you want then just promote it and demote the 2008 server. Yes still a PITA but the most seamless i've found.

Truth Carnage - it's a pain. Easiest solution i've found is add the 2012 to your domain, add what roles you want then just promote it and demote the 2008 server. Yes still a PITA but the most seamless i've found.

No domain; it's just a home server sitting in my closet.

Saw some articles that the in-place upgrade worked fairly painlessly...may try doing that one of these days.

I think I'm going to wait until Server 2016 comes out though, before upgrading.

Last edited:
Carnage there won't be any 'upgrading' - just a clean install :p

Maybe time to make it a domain so you can replicate all of your security settings and users / groups :)

Carnage there won't be any 'upgrading' - just a clean install :p
There's an in-place upgrade available - was looking at a couple of articles on some people trying it to see how well it worked.

Maybe time to make it a domain so you can replicate all of your security settings and users / groups :)

Have toyed around with the idea of setting up a domain controller on it, but I haven't really had the time to do it lol.

Really it's just a matter of reinstalling my various server applications and making sure they're configured the same (FTP, SVN code repo, WAMP, IIS, etc.).

Back
Top Bottom