I'm looking for a cop of Windows Server.

Spud1200

Fully Optimized
Can anyone recommend were I can get a copy of Microsoft Windows Server as Cheap as possible. I've been looking but MAN THEY ARE EXPENSIVE !!! ..

A Genuine license and legit Software. How much do they normally go for. I have no idea but seen prices in excess of £500 ..

Why do you need specifically the Server version?

With you asking that question is their any other versions you can get???

I have a Server and want to create a Private LAN . Play with Static IP's and DHCP . I also have about 10 PC with more to come one my SOHO Network soon to become a pLAN. Hopefully anyhow.

With you asking that question is their any other versions you can get???
Well Home and Pro...lol

I have a Server and want to create a Private LAN . Play with Static IP's and DHCP . I also have about 10 PC with more to come one my SOHO Network soon to become a pLAN. Hopefully anyhow.

If you want a domain controller using AD, then you'll have to have Server. If you're a student, you can usually get a free copy of Win Server to play around with for educational purposes.

Well Home and Pro...lol

If you want a domain controller using AD, then you'll have to have Server. If you're a student, you can usually get a free copy of Win Server to play around with for educational purposes.

Isn't Windows Home Server discontinued. At least I thought it was.

Isn't Windows Home Server discontinued. At least I thought it was.

I believe so.

But I didn't know what you needed Win Server for, which is why I asked why you needed Win Server specifically over Home or Pro.

Server 2008R2 and earlier you could get 30 day trials for free. If you downloaded the ISO by default you get 30 days to activate. Server 2012 they changed that so now you have to register an email account with every trial activation, which is now 60 days. Make's building a lab a pain in the ***.

Yes Windows Server is expensive, you can get standard which will do what you've outlined for about $500.

Unless this is an enterprise environment though - why not use a free program like Linux? I believe there are some server distro's out there that can do everything you've outlined.

Hey Spud,

DL Windows Server 2012 R2, its 30 day trial but will never expire and you can keep using it for your educational purposes, you will always have full features.. No need to pay for it if your just learning... :cool:

Windows 2012 R2 is much easier to use than Windows 2008 R2, so I'd suggest you stick to learning with 2012.

I need to switch my copy of 2008R2 over to 2012R2...but it'll be a PITA to reinstall / reconfigure everything lol.

Back
Top Bottom