Computer/Server spec advice

dwright

Baseband Member
Can anyone give me some advice on a computer(s)/server(s) setup that would be able to run the following fast and efficiently? I would want to be
able to run all of the following at the same time:

-VMware running a minimum of 15 Virtual Machines simultaneously, with each machine being allocated 2GB RAM.
-Windows Live Mail (containing 10 email accounts)
-Microsoft Excel - with 6 files open
-Internet explorer (1 web page)
-Mozilla Firefox (upto 10 webpages)
-Time planning software (uses roughly 1MB RAM)

I would also want the setup to be expandable in the near future if possible. Thanks.

Dan

You're looking at a setup with a dual CPU configuration and server motherboard which will most likely need a server chassis as well. Upwards of 3-5 grand. If you're ok with this, then I can start linking what you will need.

Thanks PP, although I was hoping that I could get something up and running for £1,000 ($1,600) even if I had to make do with only 10 virtual machines always running to start with.

Is it not possible to buy slightly older, possibly 2nd hand components to achieve reasonable results and that would be a fair bit cheaper?

You can do this, but you would have to find a PC with the equivalent of at least 16 cores or 12 cores. Reason being, for each VM to actually be running all at once they need a minimum of 1 core, then the allocated RAM. If you had 15 VMs but only a few were running you could get away with something like the AMD FX 8350. But for all of them you need an individual core per VM, then 1 for the host. 15 VMs would be 16 cores at dual 8 core Xeons or Opterons.

Actually, while typing the last sentence I just found this which is way cheaper than it used to be.

Newegg.com - AMD Opteron 6272 Interlagos 2.1GHz 16MB L3 Cache Socket G34 115W 16-Core Server Processor OS6272WKTGGGUWOF

Let me get on that server build for you. I'll edit this post with my list.

Edit: This is ballpark what I'm thinking. Do you need the whole thing? Case, PSU, a HDD (or multiple), OS, ect ect? If so, then we probably wont be able to get away with the 16 core and 32GB of RAM (minimum needed for 2GB per VM).
If you don't need all the extras, here is what I came up with that is within your budget in USD, while being able to have 4GB per.

CPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113036

Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182230

RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820239420 (2 of these)

I would email Supermicro to make sure it supports this CPU. Description says 6200 series, but 8/12 core. This particular one is 16 core.

Last edited:
Thanks PP, I'm learning a lot already. I can get hold of any OS required, but would need to buy the case, psu and hdd's. I can stretch my budget a bit and if need be I can use the hdd's from my current machines. I have a 2TB hdd and 1TB hdd that could be used.

Eventually I'd like to be able to expand to more than 15 VM's. Is it possible to buy a motherboard for this CPU that takes 2 CPU's, or is it best to just buy another setup exactly the same and link them together?

They have dual socket G34 boards that are around 500 bucks a pop and I believe they can only take ECC RAM. 2 16 core CPUs = 31 VMs with 1 core a piece, and these boards can hold around 256GB of RAM +. Server stuff if you have the cash is really amazing when you get down to it.

Let me know what you want to do. The CPU and a dual socket board by themselves cap your budget, and you'll need an actual server case. The reason I went with that CPU and motherboard is because this particular motherboard is ATX standard form factor. Meaning right now you can use a regular computer case and PSU to be a little cheaper. So say, 89 bucks for a Corsair TX650 or even a Seasonic MK 520 and a cheap aluminum case (or even Corsair 200r) to get you started. Later on when you have more funds you can take that same CPU and stick it in a dual socket G34 and add another 16 core Opteron (the same model of course).

PP Mguire, I think the preferred route to go down would be getting a dual socket G34 board, the CPU you suggested and spending a little extra to get the Case and PSU. My preliminary budget is £1000 (USD 1,600), but I could stretch it a bit if need be.

-AMD Opteron 6272 Interlagos 2.1GHz = $565 (£355)
-ASUS KGPE-D16 SSI EEB Server Motherboard Dual Socket G34 AMD SR5690 DDR3 1600/1333/1066/800 = $420 (£265)
-RAM: Kingston 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC CL9 DIMM = £100 (£50x2 for now)
Kingston 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC CL9 DIMM | Ebuyer.com

That's £720 for those 3 items. This Server case:
Intel Server Chassis SC5600BASE Tower - Power supply 670 Watt

is £274 and comes with a 670w PSU (not sure if that is powerful enough?). That brings me in on budget. Does this setup make sense?

8GB of RAM wont do it. You will want a minimum of 32GB of RAM which the cheapest here in the US is about 137 bucks for 1333 ECC. Another problem is the Asus board is 417 pounds over on Scan so you're looking at close to 800 with the CPU and board alone.

I believe that case will work. I tried digging around and it appears to support SSI EEB boards.

Frosty, I want to potentially run 15 VM's simultaneously that will all run instances of an automated software program, and a webpage. I don't need to operate these machines other than start the automated software. At present, I have 3 VM's constantly running on an old QUAD Core machine with each VM running the programs mentioned. Here's the spec of the host machine:

-Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q2800 @ 2.33GHz
-8.00 GB RAM (7.87 GB Usable) (4 x 2GB DDR3 1333)
-Win7 64-bit Operating System
-Hardrive 1 = 600GB, 157GB used. This hardrive contains the OS (Win7) and all other prograns that I use day to day (Excel, Photoshop, Windows Live etc.)
-Hardrive 2 = 2.72TB, 882GB used. This drive only contains my virtual machines and nothing else.

Each VM seems to use about 550mb to 700mb RAM (which will obviously include other processes running in the background). Although the VM's are not using the full 1GB RAM allocated to them, they run very slowly. If I run Task Manager on a VM, I typically find that CPU usage will average about the 50% mark, but will spike up and down between 40%-80%. Task Manager on the host machine tells me that I am using 6.08GB of RAM (of my 8GB) and CPU usage is about 30%, but again this could spike up as far as 65%. (Currently only 2 VM's are running the software while the other VM is idle).

Back
Top Bottom