Tutorial > When Experiencing BSOD - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > Projects and Tutorials
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 10:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Lightbulb > When Experiencing BSOD

If you experience BSOD below i have listed just a few basic checks to complete before seeking additional help & advice.

(PLEASE NOTE I AM NOT A BSOD ANALYST BUT THESE BASIC CHECKS ARE FOR EVERYONE & SHOULD BE CARRIED OUT BEFORE MORE TECHNICAL ADVICE IS NEEDED)

These are just a few basic checks to do first Ė
eg memory test and hard drive test. And test them thoroughly.

You should eliminate any programs that you may have an idea that might just be the reason behind the BSOD. eg The famous AVG. But dont get me wrong they are many other AV softwares/AV updates that can cause bsod and other things like corrupt or incorrect DRIVERS/SOFTWARE/GENERAL UPDATES/OTHER HARDWARE/etc.. it is always best to start with the easiest solution first by totally removing newly installed or recently softwares/Drivers.

Check and double check
ALL DRIVERS are upto date, including video drivers and that you have the correct driver's installed! Also making sure that your using the latest BIOS.

Check the
DEVICE MANAGER for any issues showing up there, i.e YELLOW EXCLAMATION MARKS.

Also when looking for drivers make sure you visit the manufacturer website or Vendor.

Consider running
chkdsk on all partitions. Let chkdsk complete ALL partitions and see if that helps.

Also consider running
SFC /SCANNOW from elevated command prompt from normal mode & safe mode.

Consider testing memory with
Windows Memory Diagnostic or memtest86. Note that memory that passes tests is not necessarily good memory! it just hasn't failed a test.

Consider systematically eliminating RAM from the system, Run with a couple of sticks for a while, and see how things go. Also switch them about too.

If you boot into safe mode, do you still experience bugchecks? What about if you do a clean boot, or device clean boot?

It can be helpful to use Driver Verifier;

To enable Driver Verifier... start > verifier.exe > OK > Create standard settings > Next > select driver names from a list > Next > sort by Provider > select all non Microsoft drivers > Finish, and OK.

Then, reboot and use the system as you normally would, and wait to see how you go. In the event that the system does not boot completely after enabling driver verifier, boot into Safe Mode and run driver verifier, and tell it to delete the changes!!

Now remember these are just a few basic checks
to consider performing before seeking more technical advice, as this will save time, so if you were unable to solve the bsod issue,

when seeking more advice please state all checks you have performed and you full system specs and if requested mini-dumps in your post, very important!

Hope you found this useful!

Old 01-02-2011, 10:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Default re: > When Experiencing BSOD

Good post for sure!!! I'd use it in conjunction with this one http://www.techist.com/forums/f127/d...errors-193078/ as it covers most of the common problems you'd run into with a BSOD.

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Nice one, maybe if you get time you could manually merge it to yours
Old 01-02-2011, 10:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

oh that one isn't mine, it's just the one that was compiled cause we were tired of explaining it to people.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

oh... never mind both can still be used as a reference point to start with.

maybe they could get pinned or stickied
Old 01-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thank you

Closed Thread