Honda CRV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slacker

Slacking Guru
It's me again! I have a honda crv and am looking at putting a bike rack on it.

I want to put a hitch on the crv. I need to carry 4 bikes.

Anybody know what would certify a good welder?

Yea, an actual license.... If you are looking at hitches, you need to get one that is built for your car, and is rated to fit your car. Have you considered getting a hitch added, and a rear hitch bike rack?

It isn't recommended to weld a hitch to cars, as the sheet metal on the body is rather flimsy, and getting one mounted to the frame on modern cars is rather difficult. Most hitches you can purchase that are designed for your car attaches either to the sides of your spare tire compartment, or bottom of your trunk on the outside.

After looking around I guess you have an SUV, found a hitch receiver for ~$150 that bolts to what I would assume is your frame on the driver and passenger side, the hitch receiver it self is rated for 3500 pounds. Once that is installed you can buy the hitch piece you need for using it as a bike rack.

Look here to get an idea, U-Haul: Trailer hitches and towing accessories

Just note, a hitch may be rated for 3500 pounds, but you still have to go by what your SUV owners manual or door sticker says for towing weights, and maximum load.

that the way I was leaning just putting a hitch on it and using rear hitch rack.

spare tire is mounted on the back. will have to look into how it is mounted...

I would like the hitch b/c I could also use a small trailer....

I edited my post above, didn't notice you left a reply.

But, you would be able to tow small trailers if you wanted, once the receiver is mounted, you can use a pin based hookup for trailers, or the better ball mount hitch, and they make bike racks that would slide right into the receiver.

For what it's worth, I have a 2001 Elantra GLS. I bought a hitch for it on Ebay and mounted it myself. No drilling was required in my case. It supplied me with 3 large bolts that I was to torque to a certain spec and I was done. I've been lugging my bikes all over the state ever since.

I intend to do the same for my van, a 2005 Saturn Relay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom