Winamp 5.1 Update Just Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
TheMajor said:
MP3 is poor quality. Almost anything is better. MPEG2 is good.

???

mpeg2 is video. the audio for mpeg2 is either LPCM (basically the same as wave), AC3 (kinda like mp3) or mp3

mpeg 4 (m4a, m4p, mp4, or AAC) has superior quality to mp3.

TheMajor said:
Maybe I mean MP2. Or MPEG1 layer 2. Not sure. Anyways, MP3 sucks. WMA sounds better at lower bps, same with OGG.

I see you didn't catch my edit on mp4.

wma sound better than mp3 at lower bitrate (64 -128kbps), but mp3 sound better than wma on higher bitrate (192kbps-320kbps). OGG sound better than both (about the same as mp4).

an mp4 or OGG encoded at 64kbps sounds better than an mp3 or wma encoded at 128 kbps.

I encode at 320kbps with either mp3 or AAC(mp4). I starting to use AAC more now as more programs and devices (Ipod) are starting to recognize them

Mp3 is universal. I works on all software and music players. The second you go to WMA or AAC, you are stuck with the corresponding program. mp3 is not bad, and it is fairly small.

dnoch said:
Mp3 is universal. I works on all software and music players. The second you go to WMA or AAC, you are stuck with the corresponding program. mp3 is not bad, and it is fairly small.

mp3 is what started everything and made millions of people get computers (me included). AAC was out before mp3. it was the compression technology used for sony minidiscs. Remember them?

mp3 sounds bad encoded at a low bitrate (96kbps and under). but so does everything else recorded that low, except AAC.

TheMajor said:
MiniDiscs rocked.

it is too bad they didn't catch on, but when cd-recordable came out, all of the old recording technique died except for the DAT

Ya, sony's compression software is amazing, I would use it, if it worked with my iPod.

dnoch said:
Ya, sony's compression software is amazing, I would use it, if it worked with my iPod.

it does. IPOD used AAC, mp4, m4a and m4p. they are all the same (the latter one is protected mp4 . Iopener will unprotect them)

APPLE was the company that kept it around when everybody else was going the mp3 route

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom