Transfering Digital Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

brightside

Solid State Member
I just got a Sony Handycam digital video camera that uses mini DV tapes. I'm running Windows XP. The only way that I can get video and audio on my laptop is to use a firewire card. If I watch the video playback on my television, it works fine...However, when I record from the camera to the computer, the recording will keep freezing for two seconds, rewind a second, then start playing again. This keeps happening through the recording. I know it's not the camera itself. Does anyone else have this problem. Any of you own a Sonydigital handycam? How do you record to your computer?

Thanks

It sounds like your computer is dropping frames. What are the specs of your computer. Also what program are you using to capture from the DV cam?

I have a 2.6 Celeron Toshiba laptop with 256 Ram and the program I use to Capture is CyberLink PowerDirector(program that came w/ the firewire adapter card). I just restored my computer to its original state so it should not be lagging.

Sorry to say it but your laptop is severly underqualified for video capture. The fact that it is a laptop in the fist place is a big hint that it wont do too well. I'd bet anything that it has a 5400rpm or slower hard drive. Probably in the 4k range, I forget that specific RPM. That said, 5400rpm (or lower) drives (used in 95%+ of laptops) are barely sufficient for vid capture. The 2.6ghz celeron and especially 256mb ram arent helping you either. If your setup was a desktop with a 7200rpm drive though, I bet you'd be fine. Vid cap is VERY intensive on the hard drive.

If your capture software has a video preview (as it is capturing) turn it off. My laptop has a 1.6ghz pentium-m, 512 ram, 5400rpm drive, and turning off the video preview was the only way I could even get the software to accept the hard drives data writing rate.

Oh, and not to confuse you: A 1.6ghz Pentium M is equal to approximately a 2.8ghz Pentium 4, much faster than a 2.6ghz celeron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom