surrond 5.1 speaker setup.. help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoenix9632

Beta member
Greetings all,

I recently purchashed a set of Logitech Z-680's after much shopping around. So far they are waiting to be setup properly (at the moment resting on a stack of books in the corner of the room lol). My room is probably 4m x 5m.

I want to use the speakers for gaming and dvd's. But since two out of four of my walls are windows, the ways in which I can set up the speakers are quite limited.

The easiest method would be mounting them to the roof in the four corners of the room... but would this severely affect sound quality?

Also would it be more effective to angle the speakers towards me? (from the corners) or to have them facing straight ahead?

Keep in mind im fairly new to this. If anyone has any ideas of suggestions it would be greatly appriciated. (If you need more infomation please ask)

Thanks very much

well, you should face them towards you. try to stop them being near anything that will absorb sound really well, like a curtain, clothes rack etc. because they will absorb the high frequencies in the sound and you will end up not hearing all you are meant to.

having them on the ceiling is a good idea, but make sure that they are facing down more than they have to, so they are facing the ground a bit behind where you sit, because otherwise you wont easily be able to tell where the sound is coming from. (it would be projected along the ceiling and then off the walls into your ears, not directly from the speaker like it should) hope it made sense :confused: im not too good at explaining things. just PM me if it makes no sense.

People can goto university for YEARS and still not know all there is to know about sound design. However, working in a theatre can teach you a lot.

-find your target audience (you) :: basically youre going to want the speakers angled in such a way that they are not going to be bouncing off any objects before they reach you. so yes, face them as close to your body as possible.

-subwoofer placement :: some people love the whole rap BOOM BOOM BOOM thing, its stupid. put the sub woofer BEHIND you. this is important. when you hear those big booms and whatever is going through your 5.1, youre going to be like "wtf was that"

-ceiling mount :: personally, when hanging gigantic JBJ speakers 30 or 40 feet in the air, you get an appreciation for simplicity. however, since your speakers that you're going to hang are simply channel speakers, then go for it. angle them toward you, deeper response behind, higher response in front.

- your front channel should go DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF YOU. put it on top of your monitor, or above it. just make sure its in front of you.

any more sound questions, just add me on msn // junk_3@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom