SPDIF, AC3, Home Theater, X-Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante_Caligari

In Runtime
I have been contemplating upping my audio setup from my Logitech Z5300e's to a Home Theater system to complement my new setup and large widescreen monitor, but I am a little confused as to the audio connections.

To my understanding, SPDIF does not transmit a 5.1 or 7.1 surround signal, unless it is compressed as AC3 format. Movies are in this format, but I also would like to use this Home Theater setup for games as well, and I only think that a few games have AC3 audio. Maybe I am wrong?

If I did decide to get this Home Theater system, how would I connect it to my X-Fi? Would I want to go with SPDIF, or would I want to use something like Creative's DTS-connect? What kind of Home Theater system would you recommend?

when you use the sdpif, you set the signal to passthrough which bypass the card dsp. this way you will get Ac-3 OR dts, but the source (dvd) determines the signal

What about games? Thanks for your help, by the way. I appreciate your willingness to help me after your previous incident with that kid.

with games, you will use the sound card's built in DSP to get the effects. and thank you

Very nice. Have you ever used any conventional home theater setups Eric? (I assmue you construct your own audio setups; amps, players, speakers, boxes, etc.) What would you recommend?

Yeah, I have drooled over pictures of your setups before. You make your own enclosures; buy your own speakers, woofers, amps and wire them all together, right? You must pour a lot of your income into your audio.

Unfortunately I can't afford audiophile-quality equipment. I was looking for something along the lines of this:
YHT-470

...but I am not sure what is a good manufacturer, and what I am looking for as far as getting the best overall sound quality for movies and games.

Yeah, I have drooled over pictures of your setups before. You make your own enclosures; buy your own speakers, woofers, amps and wire them all together, right? You must pour a lot of your income into your audio.

Unfortunately I can't afford audiophille-quality equipment. I was looking for something along the lines of this:
YHT-470

...but I am not sure what is a good manufacturer, and what I am looking for as far as getting the best overall sound quality for movies and games.

I don't invest in audio like I use to. I invest in computers now.

that's a good all in one system. make sure that it has spdif.
before you buy it, browse to Parts Express Home - Subwoofers, Speaker Building, Car Audio, Home Audio / Video, Pro Sound. they have high end equipment for cheap prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom