Sound Card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

majistic

Daemon Poster
In order to get a 5.1 surround sound to work (perhaps the creative 5.1) I would have to have a sound blaster sound card or something, correct ?

You could use your onboard sound IF it does support 5:1 surround, some do a very good job these days. If your onboard sound does not support 5:1 surround sound then you will need a soundcard that supports it. Creative is just one of many soundcard manufacturers.

I would suggest the Soundblaster Live 24 Bit from Creative Labs. It's fairly priced at around 35 bucks ( I found 1 at my local Best Buy for 28 bucks ) and sounds great, comes with alot of nice tools also.

Soundblaster Live 24 Bit

Check your motherboard documentation or manufactures documentaion if you bought a pre-built, like Dell, Compaq etc. Make sure your drivers are updated for your mobo's onboard sound and go into your "control panel-sound & audio devices-speaker settings-advanced". It should list the supported speaker settings for your current configuration.

It's quite likely your onboard sound may not support 5:1 surround. If 5:1 is not supported than you either need updated drivers or a soundcard such as the one I showed in my first reply.

The advice tribalsun gave for the main part is right

However that soundblaster has pretty poor sound quality (i even have it) Even the high end soundblasters have mediocre sound quality at the best.

However, like alot of people, you may not notice the differences in sound quality. Turtle beach cards are slightly more expensive than the 35$ soundblaster and MUCH higher quality sounding.

"control panel-sound & audio devices-speaker settings-advanced"
So thats all I must do right to see if it supports 5.1, thx. And if it said I dont, I can just download new sound card drivers from my sound card website and it might do it ?

Under "Speaker Setup" I can see that it gives me the choice of 5.1 and 7.1, so does that mean they are supported ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom