So Should I Build My Speakers or do I have to buy them pre-made

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that you have a house. Save up some money and get a nice pair of full range floor standers and a nice receiver and I promise you will be sooo much happier than some $200 polk surround in a box from worst buy. Surround sound is very overrated at the low end. If you can get a surround system thats put together with all really nice speakers then it is worth it but otherwise no. You will not regret saving up your money for awhile and getting some real speakers. Thats what I did and its probably one of the best decisions I've ever made.

This is what I got View the CM1 at Bowers & Wilkins - The World's leading Hi Fi and Home Theatre Brand

i have to disagree with you pinscher ... there is NOTHING wrong with polk, and the surround sound makes a HUUUUGGGEEE difference on things like movies and even on the 360. I got the fiber optic audio connection and OMG playing CoD4 with surround sound is beastly.

2 channel is way old school.

I promise you every audiophile on here will completely disagree with you like me.

Have you ever heard a pair of $1000 speakers? or even a pair of $600 speakers? If you have I am surprised you cannot tell the difference

there's the difference

***is not an audiophile and neither is the OP***

I did hear an Uber system once when I was doing door-to-door sales, the guy (or gal) was at home playin some blue-eyed soul REALLLY loud. it was in one of those yuppy mushroom villages and you could hear the music from down the block.

And it was CLLLEEEEAANNNN. However I would never spend $1000 on a set of speakers... unless I had millions of dollars.

I'm kind of baffled at how you think sound can be improved. Sound waves are sound waves... you can't upgrade them or research a new method. A speaker only moves molecules to make the waves. Its not like they are going to build a 45nm speaker that produces concert hall sound. Thats just not how sound works. The only advancements that can really be made are speaker construction.

If you are looking for "advancements" in speakers, check out Bose. Recent talk is that they are the best.

[/unhealthy amount of sarcasm]

I know "sound" can't be improved. But speaker technology can. I just had the idea that speakers would get cheaper as time goes by and slowly get closer to "the real thing." I guess there just aren't enough people in this world who really appreciate quality sound.

Heck I was helping my buddy buy some speakers for his car and I had to beg him to buy speakers for their "quality sound" and not "boominess"

I also had a huge argument with my dumb neighbor about why he shouldn't buy BOSE. (He buys anything and everything that's either made by Apple or Bose.)

I know "sound" can't be improved. But speaker technology can. I just had the idea that speakers would get cheaper as time goes by and slowly get closer to "the real thing." I guess there just aren't enough people in this world who really appreciate quality sound.

Heck I was helping my buddy buy some speakers for his car and I had to beg him to buy speakers for their "quality sound" and not "boominess"

I also had a huge argument with my dumb neighbor about why he shouldn't buy BOSE. (He buys anything and everything that's either made by Apple or Bose.)

People like your neighbor drive me crazy

Why does audio seem to have some kinda of subliminal message behind it which causes the uneducated to act like they know it all and fight with everyone ?
You don't see it with nothing else. do you see amatuer football players showing pro's how to play ? no. Do you see people with no car experience challengine car engineers ? no.
So why should it be different with audio ? :mad:
I only ever argued with more informed people audio wise because i was young and ignorant.

Sound Technology can't really be improved, it's almost the opposite of what you want to do. With audio, you wan't as little difference from the original source or the real thing as possible. technologies get in the way of this. The simpler the better, usually.

The simpler the better, usually.

In some ways yes, however there are many newer technologies which can "reprocess" the audio signals and clean them up and/or compensate for audio artifacts. Remember the early days of Napster when you'd get a lot of those "pops" "chirps" and "whistles"? You don't get that anymore because programs have become more intelligent and either 1) recognize those defects and smooth it out while processing them or 2) smooth it out in real time.

And there is also an extreme difference based on the quality of the speakers you use, the boxes the speakers are in, the configuration... yadda yadda yadda... but it really does come back down to the source. Some of my music was just recorded really dirty, and it always sounds awful. Then some of it was beautifully recorded and always sounds much better.

When listening to true high quality speakers with a true high quality source, you don't want any processing to be done. You want what you're hearing to be as close to the real thing as possible. All of those silly technologies are just faking the real thing. All of those are basically the reason why all audiophiles hate Bose. They use 'technologies' to make the sound 'better' or make it seem like it is surround sound when its only coming from the front. The reason you hear those pops and what not is because the sound has either been compressed, or like you said it is just some band who did a crappy recording of their music.

Bottom line is, when listening to real high-quality raw music, you don't want 'technologies' interfering with the real thing. Those technologies were designed for crappy computer speakers to fake the sound and to make people buy more creative x-fi cards lol

When listening to true high quality speakers with a true high quality source, you don't want any processing to be done. You want what you're hearing to be as close to the real thing as possible. All of those silly technologies are just faking the real thing. All of those are basically the reason why all audiophiles hate Bose. They use 'technologies' to make the sound 'better' or make it seem like it is surround sound when its only coming from the front. The reason you hear those pops and what not is because the sound has either been compressed, or like you said it is just some band who did a crappy recording of their music.

Bottom line is, when listening to real high-quality raw music, you don't want 'technologies' interfering with the real thing. Those technologies were designed for crappy computer speakers to fake the sound and to make people buy more creative x-fi cards lol

So true. The X-Fi chip is actually pretty good, just the creative technologies which are crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom