Recording Digital Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just reread your statement. it looks you tricked the card into recording something that it doesn't recognize as dvd audio.

old machines that were made before they made they law on dvd audio doesn't have those restriction. My old 3,000 pioneer dvd player had no restriction but it was made in 1999-2000 and it could play dvd audio.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews/dv09.html

it looks like that you found a work around. I got rid of that pioneer to a pawn shop for $500 a year and a half ago, while it still had value as it was starting to have problem switching to the dual layer part of the dvd movies.

EricB said:
what new card do you have? I was on "the copy the dvd audio" kick a few month back. when I researched it I found that you couldn't do unless you copied it as cd quality as your graphs shows the you did. your new audio card obviously didn't follow the rules on making that sound card. that isn't unusuall in this day and age as companies try to keep costs down.

I got the Maya 1010 that I mentioned earlier. This is a professional digital recording card that was built for recording both analog and digital audio.

EricB said:

it had no limitations. it followed the law. read the article

I mentioned in earlier postings on this that the Audigy drivers are limited to 16 bit recording of the SPDIF input. This is a limitation. It has nothing to do with whether or not the digital signal is copy protected. It is a poor card for recording digital audio from external devices.

Let me show you an example. I have setup a 48K 24 bit sound space that I want to record into. I set the Audigy 2 SPDIF connection as the source for recording. This is what I get when I try:

sf_error.jpg

EricB said:
I have just reread your statement. it looks you tricked the card into recording something that it doesn't recognize as dvd audio.

All I did was exactly what I stated that I did. I plugged a digital cable from the DVD player into the sound card. It successfully recorded the data at 24 bits, with no conversion, when using its ASIO drivers. The Audigy failed to do this, since it cannot handle anything but 16 bit external recording via ASIO. It's no tricks at all, but just better equipment.

EricB said:
when I researched it I found that you couldn't do unless you copied it as cd quality as your graphs shows the you did.

Redbook CD audio is 44,100Hz at 16 bits. My graph, which does not show the bit rate, was actually for 24 bit audio. Each channel was over 44,100Hz. It wasn't CD audio quality, but it was much greater.

It was 24 bit audio, because I did not record from the SPDIF input on the Audigy 2.

Jamil said:
Below is the spectrum analysis of the sound recorded from the DVD-Audio disc played through PowerDVD and recorded with WAVE as the source:

spec.jpg

It's DVD-Audio quality at 96KHz, since both channels are almost at 48KHz.

When my new hardware arrives, I will connect my DVD player to it and attempt to record the DVD-Audio.

I'm happy to see the you recorded dvd audio successfully (I might get that card). but let me explain this graph

you have 48khz at -117db down. this in no way shape or form implies dvd audio. dvd audio is -3db at 96khz in 5.1, -3 at 192khz in stereo

anything will show up at -117db down(which incidentally you will never be able to ever hear it). I can record a 10khz sine wave and find a 48khz response at 117db down. everything has to fall somewhere. but the true falloff rate is -3db down. it has always been the industry standard

The answer to all of this is simple: Hard disk recording system: Delta 1010, Motu 2408, Audiotrac maya 1010. Any analogue source recorded to Adobe audition or Cubase ect. The sound form any analogue source is recordable without worrying about copy protection protocols.

I just got all of the cables I needed, and I have made the Maya the primary audio device in Windows. I have the Audigy 2 SPDIF output going into the Maya, so that the Maya DACs are being used for all sound. With this setup, I can do what you suggested. It's quite nice.

I kept the Audigy 2 mainly for games, since that is what the card is good at. My only complaints are that the Audigy with connections through the 5/4" bay drive are rather noisy. This is something I have noticed when plugging headphones into it, but the Maya is showing movement from the Audigy's SPDIF output even when there is no sound being played.

The Maya, however, is extremely quiet and crystal clear.

Word....Welcome to home studio digital recording. Next you'll be buying a midi keyboard, rack mount effects processors and Sonar 4.0 Porducer. I want a copy of your CD whne it comes out! :) :0

Like I said before....Hard Disk recoding....the only way to go....screw sound cards!!!! I'll never buy another sound card as long as I live. Maya 1010 = about $200!!!! :) Delta 1010, full rack with midi = $450 and then it gets expensive!!! Congratualtions....studio recoding at your service!!!!! In your home!!! :0 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom