Need new speakers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

you need a stereo on for both speakers. radio shack has them. that mono will only play 1 speaker.

pure bass is clean. it won't sound like that distorted bloat in the corner that computer speakers give.

Hi-Fi speakers tend to be not quite as flat. They are designed to go louder aswell. Usually have more bass than monitors.

Keeping in mind your budget was $200 there is no point going for monitors. Sure you can get speakers called monitors in this price range but they are junk.

I am (or aspire to be ;)) a sound engineer myself. There is a difference between speakers used as a tool for your work and speakers for playing music at home.
You use these two differently. It starts with the very narrow sweet spot for monitors. You position them (height, angle) so that you hear best in the exact spot where you sit.

HiFi speakers are typically better suited to give good sound independent from the listening position. They are designed for pleasure not for work.

Of course some monitors used to be actually HiFi speakers and this start with famous NS10s but this does not mean monitor speakers (especially those <$200) would be better then a HIFi set or a decent 2.1 set from Klipsch or Creative. Of course there are better speakers out there but they come with a higher price tag. At home I use Creative I-trigue set and think they are very good value for money. I check my mixes on them as well as this is type of equipment most people use.

I understand your main issue is that one of the speakers does not work. Swap it with another one or swap cables and see if that helps. If it does not test all three outputs from the sound card with headphones. Reset sound card settings. But if you want to buy better speakers be prepared to spend more then $200.

Hope this helps.

I'd ignore both of these statement. 111sins, if you are aspiring to to be a sound engineer, you need to stop giving bad advice here. a sound engineer will never advise somebody to use speakers with severe resonating problems against one that give you the best sound for the dollar.

HiFi speakers are typically better suited to give good sound independent from the listening position. They are designed for pleasure not for work.

BS. you know very little about speaker if you say this. you've just generalized every speaker ever made. this all depends on the speaker maker. each has their own design and compromises when they make their speaker. Example Allison acoustics use to design their speakers for the sweet spot whereas Polk audio SDA speakers were stereo everywhere. they had a special design that eliminate crosstalk.

my old ones

POLKSDASRS.jpg

Polk Audio Stereo Dimensional Array Vintage Speakers

those who want to read about the technology. it a shame that people don't make speakers like this anymore. but nobody would buy them in this market

Polk Audio SDA Speakers: 1985 Review of SDA-SRS

this is my exact point. the deteriorations of sound has made everybody think that they are an expert. when I coming up and learning about this, I used to go chill and hang out with the old men audiophiles. nobody has an ear like an old audiophile because of their years of experience. they taught me all kinds of stuff. I use to read up (hundred of hours) on it too. you will learn what bs and what's not.

there is a 3 kind of audiophile
(the other 2 are true audiophiles and seasoned sound engineers. their know the art) too. he's called the wannabee. he heard people say things, so he thinks that he's an expert. he didn't really get what they was saying and he can't tell fact from fiction. but he swears that's he's an expert

I will say this again. a guy off the street will never know sound like we do.

The one that I wish that I had.

PolkSDA_Page_3.jpg

Agreed ^ ^.

Speaker makes are different as EricB said. generally most speakers require a little toe in towards the listening position, although not vital. However Dali make there speakers to be perfectly parallel to each other, because they project a wider sound front than most speakers.

Subwoofers do not need to be placed quite aswell, lower frequencies arn't directional, although due to room acoustics you will get 'bass nodes' were the bass seems deeper with more weight behind it.

111sins - i also would like to work in the audio industry, screw up and both Crysalis and EricB will go mad at you, as i've found (and they still do :D) - but take on what there saying, there usually right.

Still, never EVER reccomend ANY klipsche or creative setups over Monitors in the same price bracket, infact just don't reccomend them all together for quality sound.

Eric, those port holes look rather small :eek:, and old metal dome tweeters were very harsh. Did they sound good?

Agreed ^ ^.

Speaker makes are different as EricB said. generally most speakers require a little toe in towards the listening position, although not vital. However Dali make there speakers to be perfectly parallel to each other, because they project a wider sound front than most speakers.

Subwoofers do not need to be placed quite aswell, lower frequencies arn't directional, although due to room acoustics you will get 'bass nodes' were the bass seems deeper with more weight behind it.

111sins - i also would like to work in the audio industry, screw up and both Crysalis and EricB will go mad at you, as i've found (and they still do :D) - but take on what there saying, there usually right.

Still, never EVER reccomend ANY klipsche or creative setups over Monitors in the same price bracket, infact just don't reccomend them all together for quality sound.

klipsche make good speaker (or at least they use to). they just cost more money and aren't their computer line. klipsche hao a line of speakers for both worlds (flat and cheap). they were one of few companies that figure out how to make a horn give flat response

Eric, those port holes look rather small :eek:, and old metal dome tweeters were very harsh. Did they sound good?

huh?

It's definitely the main input for all of my speakers that are broken. Not the single speaker, and not the sound card.

I have upped my price range to 400$ and am looking at this right now:
M-Audio Studiophile BX5a from zZounds.com!
TAPCO Mix.50 | Sweetwater.com <--- Is this necessary?

All of it was suggested earlier on this thread. Thoughts, or suggestions?

Also, if someone could link what they are talking about with stereo wires....I thought that one wire could support stereo by itself...
Better yet, if someone could just link exactly what I would need to go with the above (if the above is a good choice) that would make me weep tears of joy!

It's definitely the main input for all of my speakers that are broken. Not the single speaker, and not the sound card.

I have upped my price range to 400$ and am looking at this right now:
M-Audio Studiophile BX5a from zZounds.com!
TAPCO Mix.50 | Sweetwater.com <--- Is this necessary?

All of it was suggested earlier on this thread. Thoughts, or suggestions?

Also, if someone could link what they are talking about with stereo wires....I thought that one wire could support stereo by itself...
Better yet, if someone could just link exactly what I would need to go with the above (if the above is a good choice) that would make me weep tears of joy!

I was trying to say you money on a mixer. let me find the link

to everybody else. you have to get used to us audiophiles. we don't mean to attack you. we're just frustrated about the direction that audio went. then we get mad when people who know little about sound try to tell us about sound. this wasn't that big of a issue in the 90's when most manufactures try to make the most accurate sound for the buck and people had plenty of money to indulge in it.

we are constantly in debates about this situation with newbie know it alls

klipsche make good speaker (or at least they use to). they just cost more money and aren't their computer line. klipsche hao a line of speakers for both worlds (flat and cheap). they were one of few companies that figure out how to make a horn give flat response

huh?

The ported holes on them speakers you posted just look small, and it looks like a metal dome tweeter. From my experience they sound more harsh than soft dome's.

The ported holes on them speakers you posted just look small, and it looks like a metal dome tweeter. From my experience they sound more harsh than soft dome's.

a 2 inch port on 5 1/2 inch speaker small? the port is on the back
this is a soft silk dome tweeter

BX5a_pair-8742f3d56a58c3849e910430aaceb4ec.jpg

mordred. it's an excellent choice. I know some people who have more expensive monitors. yet they tell me that mine sound better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom