Need new speakers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
People should listen, yes. People will always be opinionated on things like audio. One speaker that sounds good, will sound bad to another.

Doesn't surprise me one little bit that monitors sound better than your 7.1 setup, course it will, what kind of AV setup produces Hi-Fi sound ? especially Onkyo (See, another opinion ..;))

But yes, go with monitors.

Crysalis, do monitors create soundstage like standmounts and floorstanders ?

Soundstage can't be better recreated than with perfect stereo. A stereo set of speakers should be a perfect triangle to your ears. They should be perfectly isolated, and level with your ears. If the speakers are exactly 4ft apart from each other, the listening distance should be 4ft.

Soundstage can't be better recreated than with perfect stereo. A stereo set of speakers should be a perfect triangle to your ears. They should be perfectly isolated, and level with your ears. If the speakers are exactly 4ft apart from each other, the listening distance should be 4ft.

Okay thanks. That'll help when positioning the speakers in my room.

You guys are great. Thanks for all of the information. After listening to you guys I have decided to go with monitors. You win, I concede (lol.) Thanks for listening to my questions (putting up with the stupid ones), and for giving your honest opinions. Sorry for all of the arguing between people in this thread, can't help but feel it's partially my fault.

Final question:
My X-Fi sound card has one of those front panels that goes into a 3.5 drive bay. It has a bunch of stuff that I do not even use (the only thing I use is the headphone input.) could that be used instead of TAPCO Mix.50 | Sweetwater.com Or will I need to buy that (or something like it) anyway?

A stereo version of these

RadioShack.com - Cables, Parts & Connectors: Connectors & connectivity: A/V connectors & adapters: 6-Ft. Shielded Cable, 1/4" Plug to 1/8" Plug

or this with 2 1/4 inch plug

RadioShack.com - Cables, Parts & Connectors: Connectors & connectivity: A/V connectors & adapters: 1/4" Stereo Jack to 1/8" Stereo Plug Headphone Adapter

there are lot of combo you could use for little or nothing at radio shack.

you will find that you are getting more pure bass notes with the monitors. but if you got to have a sub you can get that too. I have a acoustic research sub with mine.

Keeping in mind your budget was $200 there is no point going for monitors. Sure you can get speakers called monitors in this price range but they are junk.

I am (or aspire to be ;)) a sound engineer myself. There is a difference between speakers used as a tool for your work and speakers for playing music at home.
You use these two differently. It starts with the very narrow sweet spot for monitors. You position them (height, angle) so that you hear best in the exact spot where you sit.

HiFi speakers are typically better suited to give good sound independent from the listening position. They are designed for pleasure not for work.

Of course some monitors used to be actually HiFi speakers and this start with famous NS10s but this does not mean monitor speakers (especially those <$200) would be better then a HIFi set or a decent 2.1 set from Klipsch or Creative. Of course there are better speakers out there but they come with a higher price tag. At home I use Creative I-trigue set and think they are very good value for money. I check my mixes on them as well as this is type of equipment most people use.

I understand your main issue is that one of the speakers does not work. Swap it with another one or swap cables and see if that helps. If it does not test all three outputs from the sound card with headphones. Reset sound card settings. But if you want to buy better speakers be prepared to spend more then $200.

Hope this helps.

so for music listening I should aim for hifi speakers

Actually, after researching a bit i would probably take back the 'not as loud' remark.

It depends what you like. Monitors will deliver exactley what there told to deliver.. they won't give more bass, but they won't give less bass. The same with mid and high aswell. They are very honest speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom