Music only plays through 2 speakers - since upgrade to Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Lihp

Baseband Member
Hey guys,

Recently upgraded to Vista.

I'll try and keep this as short and sweet as possible;

I have 6 speakers set up and 1 sub. I'm using the same setup as when I was running Windows XP.

Now, in some programs and games which are surround sound enabled, the sound works fine. Examples are Nero Showtime which allows me to set speakers to surround.

I've set Windows settings to surround settings.

Now, Windows Media Player plays multi-channel music files through all the speakers, but normal (stereo) music files just through the front two.

Whilst this seems logical as it is just a stereo music file, i want it to play through all speakers, like it did in XP.

I've been hunting round on the internet for solutions and plug-ins for a few days now, so I figured I'd post here and see if anyone has any idea what to do.

Cheers :)

Check if any drivers have been released for your sound card. If no sound card, check for new BIOS releases.

Nope... they are doing it correctly, so they probably fixed it so that it wont come those speakers (Which is a good thing). Its about time people listen to stereo music in a stereo environment.

AH! After faffing around for a while, I noticed I overlooked a setting in the configuration unter the "effects" tab, hiding in there is a setting called "speaker fill", which plays stereo files through all speakers in a virtual environment.
**** you Vista for hiding this from me :p

The General said:
Do you have music that has more than two channels?

Personally no, but you can find samples on the internet, which I got to test.

Its about time people listen to stereo music in a stereo environment.

True, but it sounds better coming from all speakers, louder, and a "fuller" sound with more speakers, although not accurate in position. Also, I get the sub on the surround.

It was pretty pants having it just from two speakers, with the rest just sat there idle. I'm glad I got my surround back :p

It sounds BETTER?! When you are playing back in stereo, it should be using your sub (2.1). You still dont have things set right.

When will people learn... Stereo means stereo.... not to upmix it to 5.1 and LOSE the dynamics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom