Home Recording Issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hikaricloud

Golden Master
So I'm pretty new to the whole home recording studio thing (seeing as all my previous recording has been with desktop/webcam mics, lol...), and I just picked up some small decent equipment.

What I'm working with:

Tascam US-122
Sennheiser E835

I have a couple programs I use. My main one is FL Studio 9, and I also use Cool Edit Pro (oldie but goodie). Now I'm having some issues.

After installing the Tascam (compatibility mode FTW), the computer recognized it just fine, but when my mic is plugged in, no sound gets transmitted to the computer. Phantom power is on, volume is up, signal is coming through on the Tascam, but nothing is translating to the computer. Windows doesn't hear it, and neither do my programs. I even tried Audacity for kicks, no go.

So like I said, I'm pretty much a n00b when it comes to this sort of stuff, and I could use a little help. Any ideas?

I'm you're guy :D I love home recording.

Well what kind of input are you using from the mixer to the pc? If it's any kind of audiojack you may need to go into your sound section of your control panel and check that you are set to have an input/mic and that sound is being recognized.

Now if your using USB or if your still not getting sound in the program input you may need to check if there is other input options. Basically audio programs tends to need very specific information about where the sound is coming from.
It would most likely be in the section like preferences/options this is where at some point it will have a section for choosing where/what is in charge of input and what is in charge of output. So from the input part it should give you some other options try them all. Not always will the best option look like the correct one I've come to realize.

If I'm correct FruityLoops is freeware? If you're using freeware double check you have the latest.

Let me know if ive helped or if I just spoke out of my ***. :) If you aren't quite sure what i'm talking about ill walk you through it on audacity. with pics.

Using USB, don't really have anything else at the moment. :\

Also, FL is not freeware, no, most definitely not, lol...latest version, but that really was the program I expected to have problems with, which is why I had Cool Edit and Audacity.

I think the problem is windows itself isn't registering the mic input. Though I'm not sure why. I know this thing isn't the best with Win7, but I know other people have been able to run this thing. So that = me stumped. I think the first order of business is to get windows to recognize the mic, or that the mixer has a mic plugged into it. No idea how though. :\

Keep using USB!!! Unless you come up with the cash for a studio quality card with stereo coaxial input or better usb is the best cheap way to go.

Ya if you have no reason to believe windows recognizes it that's definitely where you need to start.
I had similar issues trying to get my SB LIVE card to work for recording I eventually found 3rd party drivers for 64bit 7 and Vista So possibly there are other options. I'll keep my eye out but still dig around inside the audio control panel and find out what your main input driver is and see if you can change it.

Ya I don't use FL so I wasn't sure it was possibly a trial my friend was using..... I use Mixcraft and Audacity so i'm working off general likenesses.

Sounds like a driver problem with the Tascam. Are you using Win7 x64 or x86? The Vista drivers available for the device only support x86 by the looks of it.

Windows 7 x64...I had to put the driver in Vista compatibility and it installed properly, reads the device itself (stereo and mono channels)...just no mic. :[

I dunno, I'm gonna plug it into my mac and see if it works, but until then, any ideas to try and muck with this?

(going to try install windows 7 64bit drivers for the us-122L...why not at this point?)

Without being there and seeing hte options available it's a little difficult to give advice in this situation :p Maybe check Device Manager? Maybe check the USB port you're plugging the device into in Device Manager?

Everything is installed properly according to device manager and all the programs, ASIO picks it up just like all my other programs...just no sound from the mic. :[

I dunno, I'm still researching. I guess if anyone finds anything out, lemme know.

EDIT: Well IMAGINE THAT, it works PERFECTLY FINE on OSX 10.6 after install, reboot, and plugging in. Jeez. Though it's really really soft, no idea why.

I may make use of Win7's XP mode if I can't find a solution.

Ok, so after some extensive research, I found this little bit of info...on Tascam's US-122 product FAQ page. :| I'm so smart.

FAQ said:
Question: Where can I find (64-bit drivers, Windows 7 drivers, etc.) for my US-122?

Answer: The final drivers for the US-122 are Windows XP (32/64-bit) or Windows Vista (32-bit) compatible.These drivers are available for download here. If you need drivers for a different operating system, you need to upgrade to one of our currently-manufactured audio interfaces.

Translation: BUY OUR NEWER STUFF FOOL.

Also, that's the only question in the FAQ ffs. Now that all being said, I have found a couple alternatives where people have gotten it working if you use the generic low latency driver or the ASIO driver...I've tried ASIO but not the generic, so I'll try that before I fully give up.

I have XP mode installed and FL studio set up on it, so I'm going to attempt that as my last resort.

PS: Thank you Soul for being 100% right. >____>

ANGRYEDIT: Apparently XP Mode isn't up to the task. No matter what driver I use. So for ****s and giggles I broke out my old slow laptop with XP...newest driver installed, loaded cool edit, worked right away. :| I thought the point of XP Mode was you could use things that needed XP instead of 7? Is that limited to software? Bugger all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom