HDMI Audio - Pass Through?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
So I'm looking at building a small HTPC. I've got on my radar a Pentium Dual Core Sandy Bridge 2.2ghz processor along with 4gb of RAM and a Mini ITX board.

Speaking of which, side question: I have some old Micro ATX cases sitting around. Size isn't an issue with me. Are the mounting holes for a Mini ITX board the same as a Micro ATX? Can I use the Mini ITX board in a Micro ATX case?

On to the real question - HDMI is supposed to pass audio and video. Okay, got it. I was told on another forum that whatever board I get I have to make sure it supports audio pass through with HDMI, otherwise I have to do some fiddling with an expansion card to get it to work (or something like that).

What should I watch out for? If I pick out any ole' Mini ITX motherboard with an HDMI port for use with a Sandy Bridge processor, will it pass the audio fine? Or am I really on to something where I need to watch it and/or possibly get an expansion card (I assume a separate sound card?) for my uses?

Also, would the operating system have anything to do with it? (Ubuntu). Or is my above question entirely dependent on the hardware aspect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom