Digital camara memory card help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mysticphysh

Solid State Member
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

I need help! I was taking pictures for my brothers wedding and as we were nearing the end of the day, I was previewing some of the recently taken pictures when the camara froze completely. Granted I have most of the wedding pictures because I was uploading them periodically through out the day, but there are some really nice pictures I'd like to salvage still on the memory card. Here are the symptoms...

While previewing on the camara, you can view all the pictures after the first 10. If you try to cycle through the first 10 pictures, the camara freezes. When I connected the camara to the computer to upload it, I get an error saying "file or directory is corrupted and unreadable". I get the same error when trying to access the file on the card where the photos are stored in DOS promt as well as when trying to use the copy command to copy any of the pictures off the card to the computer. I get the exact same errors when I bypass the camara and plug the memory card directly into the card reader on my computer.

Anyone got any ideas? Any way to restore the directories without formatting the card? Somebody help me out if you can!

Thanks.

Re:

Hello,

One or some of your images are corrupt. Unfortunately there really isn't much hope in a situation like this i'm afraid :rolleyes: .

However, you could try doing a 'chkdk x: /R' in Command Prompt, where chkdsk implies a Check Disk, the x: implies the specific volume or drive and the /R implies cleanup and recovery of bad sectors.

This won't format your card or damage the data in any way. It will simply check it for errors and attempt to recover damaged data. If that doesn't work, then I don't know what else you can do I'm afraid.

Thanks for the advice! I should have thought of check disk myself but I guess it was too easy of a solution to think of. Anyways, a few of the picutes were corrupted and unrecoverable but I was able to recover most of them. Thanks for the help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom