Computer to Stereo Worry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaf

Beta member
Hi. I have recently bought a 3.5mm stereo plug to 2 x rca plug cable. I have been worrying about doing damage to my stereo speakers. Does anyone know if damage can be done? Should the volume on the computer be low, then should i use the stereo to higher the volume. I have heard little things about burning speaker coils and clipping, but have no idea about this kind of thing. I am grateful for any help on this topic. If it helps on the front of my stereo it says 2 x 210w 'din' music power, is this speaker power or amplifier power.

Thanx :)

You'll need an amp to connect your PC to those speakers directly - or do you plan to connect to the mic socket? If your going to use the mic don't worry about the speakers they will be fine.

If you use an amp be careful not to exceed the stated wattage.

I am connecting from the line-out jack from my computer to the input auxillary jacks on my home stereo center piece and not to the speakers directly. I think this should be safe.

Thanx for the reassurance jono199 :)

yes you'll be fine doing it that way....thats how mine is. and i've never had any problem:cool:

Ahh don't worry then, the stereo should have in built safety features limiting the overall power to the speakers.

For optimal quality select the highest quality device to make the sound loud. Ie if you think your soundcard is naff set it to a low volume and turn the stereo up hig. Or visa versa.

jono199 said:
Ahh don't worry then, the stereo should have in built safety features limiting the overall power to the speakers.

Yeah there's an overload indicator built into every speaker. when the speaker coils catch on fire or stop working it means your amp was driving them too hard.

ekÆsine said:
Yeah there's an overload indicator built into every speaker. when the speaker coils catch on fire or stop working it means your amp was driving them too hard.

LOL that's a good one ekÆsine,Jaf when you hook it all up you will be able to control the sound level thru both the stereo and the comp,you can either set the comp or the stereo to one level and then use the other to adjust it to your liking,as for the burning out coil's or cliping you should have no worry's if you have a decent pair of speaker's that can handle the power.

I would set the computer volume to max and adjust the volume from my stereo. you will get the best signal to noise ratio this way. both of my computer setups are like that.

the very best sound cards (soundblaster) only put out a half volt (.5v)
or so. most amps and receivers need 1.0 to 3.0 volt with their volume set either halfway or all the way up to start clipping. this depends on the amp/receiver. the higher end ones clip at max volume. the lower end ones at halfway. so no computer output can hurt it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom