.avi crashing my players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graceland

Beta member
I have an .avi file. When I try to play it using either Windows Media Player or Zoom Player it crashes the program. If I try to move or delete the file it crashes Explorer.

I have used gspot to confirm that the file is complete and that I have the necessary codecs to play it.

When I access it using either WinAvi Video Converter or DvdSanta to try to convert it to another format it crashes those programs as well.

I have confirmed with several other people who got the same file from the same source that they have viewed it with no problems and with no special steps needed.

I have obtained the same file three times. The first I was able to eventually delete using CMD. The other two I still have on my HD using slightly different names (they came that way, I didn't rename them and don't think I would be able to without crashing Explorer).

I'm open to any useful suggestions and thank you for your help.

A little further info.

Trying to run the file in a Divx player gives the same results.

Turning off the .avi preview feature in XP did not help.

I'm almost 100% certain this is not a corruption problem. There's something about my system and/or settings that is causing this.

My virus detector says I'm not infected, and why would a virus work just on that .avi file? I'm not having trouble running any others that I have.

I still don't know what was wrong, but somebody suggesting trying VLC Media Player and that runs it fine.

Thanks to everybody for trying to help.

Im having the same problem, and its not just 1 file.

I transfered one of the AVI's to another PC on the network, it played fine.

I installed DirectX 9.0c which came with vampire the masquerade, so im now thinking its possibly that ??

Have you installed DirectX recently ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom