Cooling on a budget - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding > Cooling
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Question Cooling on a budget

Hey there everyone, got a question for all of you:

I'm on a budget for a case/cooling system. I can go for a cheap case like the NZXT Gamma and spend about 60 bucks on a cheap water cooling system, nothing too fancy, I just know the Ivy bridges run a bit hotter and i'd like to keep it nice and cool. So i could go for the cheap case/water cooler combo, or i could buy a case that holds lots of fans like the CM Haf 912 and buy a few extra fans for the case, maybe replace the Intel cpu heatsink and fan with a better one. Which would you recommend?

Note: No overclocking involved at all, i just want a cool system =)

PS: While you're here, could you recommend a good case for airflow that is roomy and runs around 70 dollars? Nothing fancy, just a cool system =)
Thanks!

Old 05-30-2012, 11:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Cooling on a budget

Cheap does not equal cool, bro. You gimp on the case, and there's nowhere for the air to go.

I own a HAF 922 myself. I love the 230mm fans. Keeps my system extra cool. (during the winter)

As for heatsinks, look at Xigmatek, Corsair, CoolerMaster or Noctua, if you can afford it. I have a Xigmatek DarkKnight. Kept my i5 750 right at 30-35C

Old 05-30-2012, 11:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

That's a sweet case, I'm definitely considering one of those myself. Would you recommend investing in water cooling if i don't plan to overclock? Or would a nice coolermaster heat sink and a few extra fans on the case do the job?
Old 05-30-2012, 11:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Unless you are overclocking, I would advise against water cooling. I never used it, and I've been fine. I even overclocked on air before, and I never went over 40C on idle, 70C on load.

Actually, the HAF 922 has 2 x 230mm fans. One on top, one on front. Has a 120mm in back. You don't really need any more fans than that.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Awesome! Thank you!

do you think going for the NZXT Gamma with an extra 120mm fan and an aftermarket heatsink is a bad purchase? Would i be better off keeping the intel heat sink on an i5 and getting a HAF 912 or 922, or a storm scout?
Old 05-30-2012, 11:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

I never, in my custom builds since the C2D days, used stock coolers that came with your CPU. I always buy 3rd party.

Even the 912 is good, if you want to save a couple bucks. HAF cases have good cooling on their own. As for NZXT, not too sure.