Cooling on a budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

xK1LLSW1TCHx127

Baseband Member
Hey there everyone, got a question for all of you:

I'm on a budget for a case/cooling system. I can go for a cheap case like the NZXT Gamma and spend about 60 bucks on a cheap water cooling system, nothing too fancy, I just know the Ivy bridges run a bit hotter and i'd like to keep it nice and cool. So i could go for the cheap case/water cooler combo, or i could buy a case that holds lots of fans like the CM Haf 912 and buy a few extra fans for the case, maybe replace the Intel cpu heatsink and fan with a better one. Which would you recommend?

Note: No overclocking involved at all, i just want a cool system =)

PS: While you're here, could you recommend a good case for airflow that is roomy and runs around 70 dollars? Nothing fancy, just a cool system =)
Thanks!

Cheap does not equal cool, bro. You gimp on the case, and there's nowhere for the air to go.

I own a HAF 922 myself. I love the 230mm fans. Keeps my system extra cool. (during the winter)

As for heatsinks, look at Xigmatek, Corsair, CoolerMaster or Noctua, if you can afford it. I have a Xigmatek DarkKnight. Kept my i5 750 right at 30-35C

That's a sweet case, I'm definitely considering one of those myself. Would you recommend investing in water cooling if i don't plan to overclock? Or would a nice coolermaster heat sink and a few extra fans on the case do the job?

Unless you are overclocking, I would advise against water cooling. I never used it, and I've been fine. I even overclocked on air before, and I never went over 40C on idle, 70C on load.

Actually, the HAF 922 has 2 x 230mm fans. One on top, one on front. Has a 120mm in back. You don't really need any more fans than that.

Awesome! Thank you!

do you think going for the NZXT Gamma with an extra 120mm fan and an aftermarket heatsink is a bad purchase? Would i be better off keeping the intel heat sink on an i5 and getting a HAF 912 or 922, or a storm scout?

I never, in my custom builds since the C2D days, used stock coolers that came with your CPU. I always buy 3rd party.

Even the 912 is good, if you want to save a couple bucks. HAF cases have good cooling on their own. As for NZXT, not too sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom