what next???

Status
Not open for further replies.
jeez, what's with the desperation of getting through as many programming languages as you can in shortest amount of time?

Isn't it better to sit down and just learn one language, and use it for at least a year? No, you can never get the nuances of a language by just sitting through a 15 min tutorial, no matter how steeped you are in computer science, as every language has certain new features you haven't seen yet (in the case of C, a certain restriction).. For example, can you honestly tell me that you can master Templates in C++ in 15 mins? Or what about Lisp Macros? So, please, sit down with your favorite language and start exploring, it might just be interesting to learn the inner working of one language rather than learning how to write the next java-acounting-program..

furtivefelon said:
jeez, what's with the desperation of getting through as many programming languages as you can in shortest amount of time?

Isn't it better to sit down and just learn one language, and use it for at least a year? No, you can never get the nuances of a language by just sitting through a 15 min tutorial, no matter how steeped you are in computer science, as every language has certain new features you haven't seen yet (in the case of C, a certain restriction).. For example, can you honestly tell me that you can master Templates in C++ in 15 mins? Or what about Lisp Macros? So, please, sit down with your favorite language and start exploring, it might just be interesting to learn the inner working of one language rather than learning how to write the next java-acounting-program..

Well said. Plus, as has already been mentioned, once you are proficient in one language, others come quickly if you should need them. I wouldn't learn languages just to have more things to list when you tell people what languages you know.

exactly, you can spend eternity learning EVERYTHING to one language. Just concentrate on one, and once you know how to use one OOP language you can use any of them with just learning the syntax and maybe a reference book.

Hmm...i will keep that advice and try to learn one or two languages deeply instead of putting my feet everywhere. but the reason that i started this thread was to ask an opinion about which "LANGUAGE " i should learn next and not how many i should learn in a short time. but anyways thanks for responding so much!! c ya!!!

furtivefelon i must confess i had really gotten a bit angry with you regards to that other post but i must thank you for the link you gave me. i read it out line by line and really found it useful. but let me still clear it out to you that i am NOT in a hurry to learn languages. i just wanted opinion on "which single" language should i learn after C. anyways i would suggest to you to just be a little easier on newbies like me. c ya!!!

Well, I often ask questions in comp.lang.c newsgroup, do try to post that exact same question in that newsgroup.. I'm reasonably certain you will get about the same reaction i had just given you.. It's not that they are harsh people, they are just a bit more selective of whom they are friends with..

examples:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.c/search?q="off+topic"&start=10&
http://groups.google.com/group/comp...q=homework&qt_g=1&searchnow=Search+this+group (ok, fine, i can't think of any good terms to narrow down to those who get flamed.. but there are plenty, lurk for a while you'll find them)

Of course, there are reasons they are very harsh to people displaying slightest ignorance (unless you've proven your worth).. Those groups are very talented people, it's very valuable resource, but if you ask the wrong question.. better be prepared to get flamed by 20 different people..

At this point, I must admit that i am a bit harsh. However, as you get towards more and more pedantic people (usually are pretty smart), you are going to get flamed for just about anything out of place..

Not sure if that resolved anything.. seem to me i just said alot of stuff..

However, as you get towards more and more pedantic people (usually are pretty smart), you are going to get flamed for just about anything out of place..
That's true. However, most of those people should get over themselves, regardless of how ridiculous a question or statement may seem. Patience is a far more admirable and helpful virtue than pride.

jaeusm said:
That's true. However, most of those people should get over themselves, regardless of how ridiculous a question or statement may seem. Patience is a far more admirable and helpful virtue than pride.

I don't think that's particularly true (though i admit patience is quite a admirable virtue).. However, i think the reason why they doesn't have patience is that they like to help their equals, or at least those who has shown great effort in trying.. No one like to waste time helping someone who doesn't even want to help themselves..

It would seem to me a particular waste of time answering a particularly ridiculous question that the author seemed to have put no thought in before asking.. It's not pride, just something people don't like to waste their time..

Take a common example, who would want to help yet another wanna be geek that wants a recommendation on the distro they should choose, when there are plenty of resource available to them if they just open up google (i feel anyone who asks that again should tape google on their forehead backwards so they can read it in a mirror). By the way, i think the best answer to this and the question "what language should i learn" is to use whatever your friend uses, i mean, that's where anyone would learn the most and have the most fun right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom