What do I need to learn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trifid

Fully Optimized
Right, I want to give my clan a decent website, that is way beyond my current knowledge of website building. So I want to learn how to!

This is the rough idea that I had in my head last night:

http://ultimateunity.co.uk/images/myfirstidea.jpg
(the black lines indicate frames, one going down the side and one across the top.) Is this a good way of doing it?

Most important bit, what do I need to learn? PHP is a given but what do I need to have that work on a variety of screen resolutions? CSS? Any good links to websites? Books are also good.

Thanks, Trif.

I have as long as it takes to make the site.

PHP will take care of the back-end for you, that's for sure. Most (I think) would say "no" to the frames, and instead use PHP's include() / require() functions, as sort of a template method. Eg, put one (defined width) 2x2 table on the page, and in each of those parts, put <?php include("myNavigation.php"); so it's easy to change throughout the site. (Same idea as frames...!)

As far as clan sites go...it seems to be more of the flashy stuff...imaging, that separates them...nothing too easy to make (at least for me)!

Also, your page seems to be based around a forum - unless you plan on making the forum's skin, I'd try to find the one you'll be using as a primary, first - and then match your website to it (theme-wise). It's somewhat funny when you visit a website that's done in black, then they link to a white/blue forum...! Lazy people.:p

But 'tis a good way to make use of PHP, as that type of website is infinitely expandable (until you decide it's just too much time!).

I will be burrowing "PHP for dummies" book tomorrow. I will learn that over half term and create it. I did plan on making the skin for the forums. I have 'done' it before but it was half assed attempt and inedibly failed one. I will have a look at what is out there.

Also drupal, I know it is cheating, but it looks so ideal for this as I can get the leader to add content! (and I would make the front end.)

Trifid said:
I will be burrowing "PHP for dummies" book tomorrow. I will learn that over half term and create it. I did plan on making the skin for the forums. I have 'done' it before but it was half assed attempt and inedibly failed one. I will have a look at what is out there.

Also drupal, I know it is cheating, but it looks so ideal for this as I can get the leader to add content! (and I would make the front end.)

Haha, yeah, I know... I've messed with skins a bit with phpbb - it is very time consuming to get everything perfect.

I hadn't heard of drupal, but I know there's lots of front-ends like that, and that'll definitely help a bit! :p

With that in mind, I'd just say go show Photoshop what's what, or if you dare, 3DSM! Make it the "leetest" version of Drupal known to man!

3DSM! I don't have time for that! lol. I spent about 3 weeks on and off with the making of PHPBB. I enjoyed it when I could see what I was doing.

Trifid said:
3DSM! I don't have time for that! lol. I spent about 3 weeks on and off with the making of PHPBB. I enjoyed it when I could see what I was doing.

Haha yeah I guess...it doesn't pertain to a website too much, but it's amazing what kind of pictures / animations / models you can make it with it. I've probably spent 20 hrs total with 3DSM, but it's...awesome.

Back on PHP, it's awesome too...hah...look at some graphs generated and drawn using ALL php, at this website!

So fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom