Who's hungry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My cherries!!!!! Bah, I'm going to be running pretty inconsistantly for a while I try and figure out my folding rig mobo problems. A couple of weeks atleast....and if it is under warranty then it will probably be atleast a month, if not more, before I send in the board and then get the replacement back.

I'll be setting up a proxy server at home today, so I can block the kiddies computers but still get my rig connected.
The long and short of that will be...say hello to a GTX 285 and an i7 920 :D

Nice, you should try out the big units on your i7. 25k ppd easy on those if you give it 8 cores. on regular a3's probably about 16k

And I think the 285 should do about 8 or 9k

Well, I wouldn't say almost useless; you can still do light gaming and do other simple tasks easily (with affinity set to 7 cores) if you get it working nicely. But, the big WU's do use like 5gb+ of RAM which makes doing anything other than simple stuff a bit of pain, and I think is what was making me crash all the time.

But with A3 out now and doing some good numbers... I guess the big units aren't really worth it anymore, unless you have a dedicated i7...

I'm beginning to wonder if running SMP is really worth it to me. I may finish three WU's a week (at best) for about 1500 or less. In exchange I give up most of the responsiveness and speed of my computer. It's all my 4200 X2 can do to meet the deadlines for the SMPs, so shutting it off when I am doing anything is out of the question; I still have to shut it off to game, but I don't game much right now.

The GPU client is fine. It uses some of the CPU, but not much. I have to shut it off to game, but it whips through WUs without a problem anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom