I'm heading up that List Baby, and I'm go'ing as Far as I can..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bysy installing Ubuntu desktop on the Q6600 System, Since I'm skint untill Payday, and even then I cant afford £70+ at the minute for a 7HP OS minimum. Ubuntu is the way for the time being. HaHa, I really feel I must say Linux frightens the liveing day lites out of me Patton.

Honestly sounds Crazy dosent it. Years ago when I was a Young teenager I tried with a cupple of Linux Distros, and I think they were all command line interface. Im bysy Installing Ubuntue off a 2GB USB mem stick, and I'm Petrified in case I screw something up unable to repair, but only option for the tiem being. I hope I can get with it and stick with Linux, and "IF" I can Gel with it, I'll be bombing Microsoft and their "at times" hiddious softwere. Any Advice Patton, anyone!.

I think we all get that way at first, but slowly migrate into linux distro and you'll find out which one is your calling.
Honestly I don't like ubuntu at all,makes me feel like I am dealing with a twisted version of vista/me mixture feeling. #_#

Also did you follow the instructions I gave corrisive ?

Spud1200
Team 12864
passkey
tell the smp client to use 85% or 90% of of your cores. if your using that q6600 limit it to 80% cpu power as it will generate too much heat while working above 85%.
When it ask for what type of work load unit want: say [BIG]
Tell it also you want to handle new scientific work units
Disable highly assembled code: no
Tell it at the bottom clock is fine, tell it to let the smp client upload without permission and download.
You won't need bigadvmethods if everything is correct, you will be working on a fah 78 core.
Stop the client, delete the work unit data and that core file, start up the client again and it will see no wu files and give you a a3 core for the first time.

@paton, do you think I should a small 6 minute video on setting up folding@home v6 and v7 for new people doing smp folding only ?

Mike, do what ever you think will help... Until you make video, determining if its helpful is hard.

Spud... Right now linux cpu folding is more efficent and makes more points.

Unfortunately, gpu folding is properly supported, so you may lose those points.

Btw, a properly setup quad, wqill not overheat.. I ran my q6600 oc to 3.0 24/7.

It is quite unfortunate that we live in Texas and it is starting to get hot already. We had what I would call no winter at all so this spring is going to be terrible with lots of tornadoes.

At the minute I'm still trying to wrap my head around Ubuntu. I downloaded F@H and come to think of it I cant remember what version it was, it must of been the Linux ver for deffo. To be quite Honest I hope I can gel with Ubuntu if not another Linux Distro like you say Mguire because I'm sick of Windows.

At the Minute I've got 5 Systems Running Winodws. One is Pro, another is 7 HP x2 and XP Home x2. With Ubuntu on the Q6600. I had a cupple of Problems the other Night when setting it up, with extracting Files and the genral layout of the OS, but I noticed in the top task bar, I had the Option of being able to View what was on the Network and that something I could never get my Head around with Windows. It must of Recodnised the Swich Connecting all 5 PCs at the Time, and I could browse like looking threw a Folder. :) . All I need is an Ethernet Cable to hook up to the Swich and I'm online.

But with Ubuntu, What do I need to know. such as File Extractors, 7Zip mabie? and an .exe File Launcher, Picture Viewers, Media Player, or Drivers mabie for an External Hard Drive. Like I say its all new and I havent got a Clue.

Would anyone be able to tell me If I could use, AxCrypy or TrueCrypt on a Linux Distro such as Ubuntu and the Softwere Utorrent. I think I can mention the Softwere here on tech-forums but cant talk about anything else. So hope thats ok.

When I get my Head around Linux, I'll Fold on the Michine, and if you could Mguire I would love and appreciate a Tutorial for the Folding @ Home SMP, or if you could cover as much as you can. And expect alot of Question. ;) ..

But with Ubuntu, What do I need to know. such as File Extractors, 7Zip mabie? and an .exe File Launcher, Picture Viewers, Media Player, or Drivers mabie for an External Hard Drive. Like I say its all new and I havent got a Clue.

Would anyone be able to tell me If I could use, AxCrypy or TrueCrypt on a Linux Distro such as Ubuntu and the Softwere Utorrent. I think I can mention the Softwere here on tech-forums but cant talk about anything else. So hope thats ok.

When I get my Head around Linux, I'll Fold on the Michine, and if you could Mguire I would love and appreciate a Tutorial for the Folding @ Home SMP, or if you could cover as much as you can. And expect alot of Question. ;) ..

Spud:

1.Linux Tips and Tricks

2.http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/cmd/

3.TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source Disk Encryption - Documentation - Known Issues & Limitations

Give that third link a good read through, about encrypting a linux os to secure files, I don't think thats necessary not unless you work for a mob boss or any other such nonsense.
Yes you are right there is some software we can't mention of, I know quite a few of them, and they are quite damaging if it gets into the wrong hands of someone trying to break inside a pc or use it for other illegal means. :/

Bysy installing Ubuntu desktop on the Q6600 System, Since I'm skint untill Payday, and even then I cant afford £70+ at the minute for a 7HP OS minimum. Ubuntu is the way for the time being. HaHa, I really feel I must say Linux frightens the liveing day lites out of me Patton.

Honestly sounds Crazy dosent it. Years ago when I was a Young teenager I tried with a cupple of Linux Distros, and I think they were all command line interface. Im bysy Installing Ubuntue off a 2GB USB mem stick, and I'm Petrified in case I screw something up unable to repair, but only option for the tiem being. I hope I can get with it and stick with Linux, and "IF" I can Gel with it, I'll be bombing Microsoft and their "at times" hiddious softwere. Any Advice Patton, anyone!.

I ran CPU and GPU folding on headless Debian machines for a long time. You should have no problem getting it going in Ubuntu.

At the minute I'm still trying to wrap my head around Ubuntu. I downloaded F@H and come to think of it I cant remember what version it was, it must of been the Linux ver for deffo. To be quite Honest I hope I can gel with Ubuntu if not another Linux Distro like you say Mguire because I'm sick of Windows.

At the Minute I've got 5 Systems Running Winodws. One is Pro, another is 7 HP x2 and XP Home x2. With Ubuntu on the Q6600. I had a cupple of Problems the other Night when setting it up, with extracting Files and the genral layout of the OS, but I noticed in the top task bar, I had the Option of being able to View what was on the Network and that something I could never get my Head around with Windows. It must of Recodnised the Swich Connecting all 5 PCs at the Time, and I could browse like looking threw a Folder. :) . All I need is an Ethernet Cable to hook up to the Swich and I'm online.

You don't need file extractors, or a picture viewer, or a media player or USB drivers because all that stuff will come with Ubuntu by default, you can use wine to launch Windows exe's.
I think that Ubuntu probably comes with some kind of disk encryption options out of the box but to me it sounds like you're just making it difficult for yourself. Try the Ubuntu live CD to see what it's about and if you like it, install on the hard disk.

You know the Pentium 4 Michine I mentioned, the server must be Reciveing again. As the Michineis currently prosessing another Work Unit. To be Honest, was starting to get Worried as nothing seemed to be changeing, Hopefully the PPD will have Regesterd as well. Currently 3% Compleat. :) ..

Edit: Also sorry for the Late Replys, I've been pritty Unwell with my Depression & have'nt been Sleeping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom