How many people take F@H seriously?

Spud1200

Fully Optimized
Hence the question needs to be explained more in depth. What I'm asking is for feedback as I love f@h and have my machines up 24\7, six to 7 days a week. Do you drink alcohol, smoke tobacco. Do you own a Gun, Anything that would or could be used as the opposite of finding medical cures for the the Illnesses and diseases f@h is trying to find cures for.

For example I smoke, I don't drink, but I enjoy junk food from time to time. I'm on medication for Life, and I lead a some what unhealthy life style to an extent.

I' take a Minimum of 3 Prescription Meds everyday twice a Day, as to wich my live for f@h and the pushing forward of Medical science but I do smoke. I know I'm addicted, but I do enjoy it greatly. So am I a hypocrite.

How many people take this dedication seriously, or is it just to show off your Hardware? Flex those GPU's and or CPU's I don't have the Greatest system but I read a lot online. and look in to the projects. Follow the News, Do you do the same? Take an interest to the Point were you would bye a 1K rig to help support the cause? Make a donation and or donate Hardware?

The reason I ask is I know their has been a magnitude of people drop out due to the economic down turn on a Global Scale but with F@H having over, well over 1.7 Million world wise users, and their are actively only a proportion folding would you put this Charitable cause first.

I leave my systems up and running for two reasons. the WU's and the continuing effort to help people who in 100 years will need us like my potential grand children. If you have a project in regards to a WU come back or go back to the Boffins at Stanford and shows no feasible results, that's research in its own right. Because any result is a result. Hence the consent need for progress and the forward effort.

Stanford has ticked off a lot of donors lately and they've left for other similar projects.

Majority of people will only do stuff for a reward to begin with, and projects like F@H are not recognized charities so the rewards not financial despite a lot of money spent to donate to it.

Stanford was big in the advancement in the programs, but has now stagnated.

I don't take it seriously at all now. I haven't done it since I started uni since I pay my electricity bills :D If I end up living somewhere where I don't, I'll probably start it up again.

I too haven't folded since I started paying for my electric. Power consumption isn't a big deal to me for gaming or benching purposes but running this wattage sucker 24/7 would be extremely costly on an annual basis. I also doubt the real benefits since I haven't seen anything beneficial come out of folding since I've started paying attention to it.

Folding program has had beneficial results come from it, but more on the simulation side than the actual physical medical side.
Though the sim side has allowed for drug designs to help target specific things, vs say an asprin for a headache which kills pain everywhere.

Power cost run about 2 bucks a day for me, which is viable for MY financial situation, but I can easily see how many can't. My issue is heat generated during the summer.

That's what I mean. The whole motto is fold for cancer or whatever, and I haven't seen any tangible benefits in that direction.

Heat is the majority of my annual cost. I would need a very large AC unit to keep my room cool if I was folding on my machine.

1 step at a time, using super computers worth of processing power for years with nothing really to show. #1 why I stopped. Power and heat was #2.

Not really. I donate to charities I can actually see making a difference. It's why I'm such a strong supporter of Child's Play. I used to be down with Folding back when I thought it would actually make a difference. Now we have so much compute power at our disposal and the amount of power coming out of folding GPU farms and still nothing real notable.

Back
Top Bottom