Putting hs on CPU? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Closed Thread
Old 08-30-2004, 05:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to lazerman Send a message via Yahoo to lazerman
Default Putting hs on CPU?

I'm lapping my heatsink so I can get some cooler performance and when I took it off it was more like tape instead of thermal paste, do I need to get the stuff off the processor? Does anyone know of any tutorials?

The Stargate MMORPG
Old 08-30-2004, 11:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

um im pretty sure i no wut ur talking bout like a little pad like sticky thing, neways yea def get it off o the metal is in direct contact with the cpu not counting thermal stuff. totorials in lapping? i used one lemme see if i can find the site....

aight really dunno if this is the site i used but google cpu lapping and ull find thousands

<i>Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups</i>
Old 08-31-2004, 04:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

yeah you have whats called a thermal pad. Getting those off are usually difficult and beyond that it usually means its an older an less efficient heatsink. I would suggest getting a better heatsink and for better lapping instructions plus available CHEAP kits go here:

they have a kit that goes from 600-800-1000-1200-1500-2000 grit sandpaper and have 10,000grit finishing polish. That'll give you the ultimate mirror finish. Just received my sandpaper kit from them today infact. Good stuff

EDIT: The link he gave the guy jumped from 800 right up to 1500, you'll get a much better finish if you do it incriments that that kit offers.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

o i didnt read it but yea the smaller steps the better result ull get, use the site nub showed u left hand side theres a pdf on lapping.

<i>Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups</i>
Closed Thread