Overclocking Phenom 2 X4 965 BE - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Closed Thread
Old 10-17-2010, 11:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Overclocking Phenom 2 X4 965 BE

I've been trying my hand at overclocking my 965 recently, and was wondering if you all had any safety tips or advice on getting a higher speed out of it. I am using an aftermarket fan.

For awhile yesterday I had it running at 3.96ghz (18x220) with 1.425V, and it would pass an Intel Burn Test fine, but trying to run Folding@Home SMP client on it crashed it this morning. I've taken it down to 3.85ghz (17.5x220) at 1.425V and it seems to be doing alright.

1) During the burn test, the CPUID Hardware Monitor would show the "CPU core temperatures" reaching about 63C. However, EasyTune6 (using Gigabyte motherboard) shows a "CPU temperature" of less than that - right now while it's folding, the cores are at 48C while the CPU is at 44C. I've heard that it's best to keep the processor temperature below 62C, and think that is the "CPU temperature", but I'm not entirely sure.

2) What kind of voltage is it safe to give these processors? In the spec sheets, it shows that their "nominal voltage" is up to about 1.40V, so I'm already giving it a bit more than normal. Some review sites I've seen have taken it all the way up to a bit past 1.5V - is it common to run the processor that high?

3) If anyone here is running one of these processors, how fast have you gotten it, and what are your voltages? Any other advice?

Thanks for your help. This is the most powerful computer I've built yet, and I'd really hate to fry the processor from my own stupidity.

EDIT: Figure this might help.
Memory (running underclocked a bit)

(Main Desktop) Phenom 2 X4 965 BE + Scythe Mugen 2 Rev B Heatsink / 4gb DDR3-1600 RAM / nVidia 9800GT / Samsung F3 1tb HDD / Windows 7
(Laptop) Dell Vostro 1400 / Core 2 Duo T5670 1.8ghz / 2gb RAM / 8400M GS / 250gb HDD / Windows 7-Ubuntu Dual Boot
("Media Center" Desktop) Athlon X2 4000+ / 4gb RAM / nVidia 9400 / 250GB + 2TB HDD / Windows 7 Professional x64
Old 10-17-2010, 01:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Default Re: Overclocking Phenom 2 X4 965 BE

I'm not up on AMD cpu's to give you any overclocking advice, but I know the CPU Temperature is the temp of the cpu socket and not the actual cpu. The Temperatures you need to concern yourself with are the "Core" temps, the cores are the actual working components of the cpu itself.

Old 10-17-2010, 03:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!
Default Re: Overclocking Phenom 2 X4 965 BE

slaymate's right, core temp is where you're focus should lie. With your original clock of 3.96, it would make sense that you're just undervolting the processor, in which case add more voltage. If you're only at 44C you've got a lot of overhead to take that thing further, and with that board I think you can get a bit more out of it. I'd try by bumping up the voltage bit by bit. Go by .005 unless you're impatient like me then crank it all the way up to 1.5v and see what happens. *As a note, if you bump it up to 1.5v and boot it up and it does overheat, don't worry it won't hurt the processor dramatically if the temp is above 80C (which I doubt it would), but calmly restart your computer and lower the voltage.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Closed Thread