new PC doesn't recognize CRT monitor - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Closed Thread
Old 04-16-2005, 01:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default new PC doesn't recognize CRT monitor

I just completed my first build today - ASUS motherboard (8T800 or something), Athlon 64 2800+, 2x512MB Corsair RAM, GeForce 5200 video card. At first it simply wasn't booting at all - as in I pressed the front power button and nothing happened. I took it into work as we have a PSU tester there, and as fate would have it, newegg shipped me a dud PSU. So we go through and install a new one, everyone looks good, it boots fine. My friend goes into setup, just kind of looks around, we agree everything looks good.

I come home, and I am quite surprised to find that the old 19" CRT monitor I have been using for years now doesn't seem to work! It's plugged into the serial port on the GeForce graphics card, as the ASUS motherboard does not have a port for it. My friend's monitor worked just fine, but I bring it home, and nothing! The monitor simply stays as if it were in hibernation with the yellow LED and I cannot get it to turn to the green one. I have no idea what has happened - I went through and checked all the cables, everything is fine - I didn't bump it on the way home or anything. Is there something obvious I'm missing? It could be something to do with the graphics card I suppose..

Please help Thank you!

Old 04-16-2005, 04:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Sounds like your computer isn't posting....which means the monitor has nothing to do with it.

Your computer has a hardware problem, could be the graphics card or RAM just needs to be resat again and then try to boot up.

99% of the time when people say their monitor doesn't come on, they want to blame the monitor or graphics card and it's generally as something as simple as a part needs to be resat because comps are weird like that, or theres a major problem keeping it from POSTing at all

Old 04-16-2005, 10:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

99.999% of computer problems are not the monitor itself
as Nubius said, it is most likely something in the inside of your case

since it's your first build, you may want to read up a little, and try and figure out if you've missed something
Closed Thread