liquid-cooled case question? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 10:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Devious Techie

Send a message via ICQ to therascalking Send a message via AIM to therascalking Send a message via Yahoo to therascalking
Default liquid-cooled case question?

well, i was thinking about it today... and i kinda came to the realization that even if i replace all the various components in my computer bit by bit over time... odds are good at least one thing is going to stay the same, unless i damage it somehow:

my case and cooling

so, i decided that when i eventually come into the money for it (in the near-ish future) that id invest in a little more legit case... one thats liquid-cooled, to cut down on my case temps and noise (at least six fans running in it now, its sorta loud :/)
i thought about modding my current case (a Raidmax RX-9 GT) and adding a custom cooling system to it... but to be honest, its already a little beat up, and i dont like it thaaaaat much... plus, i know very little about liquid cooling, and liquid that close to my electronic parts when i dont know whats what... frightened me a bit to install myself... so to mod it, to me, seemed a little silly...

SO my questions for the informed denizens of this forum would be:

do you know of/recommend any pre-made water-cooled cases?
(i would be looking for something preferably mid-tower, glossy black, with a window, and not too boxy...)

or, do you think its possible... and should i mod my current case, and whats the best way to go about doing this?

ill post pics of my current build and the case its in, if thatll help... i think i have room to add a liquid-cooling system, but im not sure...
thanks a lot in advance, guys - RK

*School, work, girls? No time for computers! :P*
Old 03-05-2008, 12:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Devious Techie

Send a message via ICQ to therascalking Send a message via AIM to therascalking Send a message via Yahoo to therascalking
Default Re: liquid-cooled case question?

anybody...?

id try and research this one on my own, but... its not like i can just go on newegg and compare specs or anything... and ive been to sights like danger den, but... they dont offer advice, and thats only one sight...

stuff like this is mainly opinion, based on experience... so... opinions, anyone?

thanks - RK

Old 03-05-2008, 12:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

i would try getting one of those kits from swift-tech that screw onto the back of your case by the 120mm fan port with tubes coming in through a nonused pci expansion slot

but with your current case you might be able to fit a rad ontop of it under the plastic but not sure look on some big casemod forums and try to find someone who has done it. it prolly gonna require alot of modding...

- INTEL Q6700 @ 3.2 - ASUS P5Q Pro - EVGA 9800GTX - 4GB Patriot Viper @ 1066 -
Old 03-05-2008, 12:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Retired.

Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913

2 hours and a bump, sigh...

My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke

this is what i think im getting for my new build. its small and can be upgraded to cool your chipset, and gpu(s).
also its a great price.

NCIX.com - Buy NCIX Water Cooling Essentials 120 CPU Water Cooling Kit - ESSENTIALS 120 H20 KIT In Canada.
Server: Core i7 920 | 8GB RAM | Intel 240gb 730 SSD Boot | 3 x 2TB WD RED | Fractal R4
Old 03-05-2008, 09:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Devious Techie

mkay... interesting... thanks, guys...
but does anyone know of any decent pre-built cases?
i dont really want to mod the one i have : /

or even any really good websites that have more of a selection than say newegg or ncix for liquid cooling? other than like danger den, that is...
thanks - RRK

Old 03-05-2008, 02:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke992006 View Post
this is what i think im getting for my new build. its small and can be upgraded to cool your chipset, and gpu(s).
also its a great price.

NCIX.com - Buy NCIX Water Cooling Essentials 120 CPU Water Cooling Kit - ESSENTIALS 120 H20 KIT In Canada.
You can technically upgrade any kit really to support cooling your chipset and gpu, however I would not recommend you even try and water cool your quad core with that kit.

The single 120mm radiator will not provide sufficient heat dissipation and the pump that is included will not maintain a high enough flow rate in a loop with multiple blocks.

Therefore I highly recommend looking at the Kits offered at Petra's Tech Shop

Now... the rascalking, if you have your heart set on a case that already comes complete with water cooling the Gigabyte Mercury Pro case would probably be your best bet.

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE 3D Mercury Pro GZ-FW1CA-AJB Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

Again if you want more parts than DangerDen carries take a look at Petra's Tech Shop Xoxide.com - Custom ATX Computer Cases, PC Mods, Computer Case mods, and Modded PC Cases FrozenCPU.com | 1.877.243.8266 | World's Largest Selection of PC Modification Supplies

If you decide you want to do it yourself, you'll be able to use much higher performance parts and make the loop just a little bit more future proof.

Yes I said future proof, shoot me now.

That is all.

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Old 03-05-2008, 02:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

i dont have any experience with this site or pre-built water cooling, but heres a place that has it
Water Cooled Computer Cases - PC Water Cooling
4gig (2x2gb)g.skill ddr2 1066
gigabyte p43-ds3L
Antec sonata II mid tower
200gb Seagate HDD, 500gb Seagate HDD, 1TB Seagate HDD
Old 03-05-2008, 04:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Please Stay Away from anything with the Koolance brand name...

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Old 03-05-2008, 08:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Devious Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire.comptech View Post
Please Stay Away from anything with the Koolance brand name...
thanks alot for the links and info, i appreciate it

but why stay away from koolance? i was actually just looking at their RP-1000BK 1kW Series 5.25in Drive Bay System as the basis for installing a loop in my current case... figuring that that would be easy to take out and install in another case if/when i get one...

Koolance RP-1000BK 1kW Series 5.25in Drive Bay System - Black

is what im talking about... youre saying this is no good?
there was some question in my mind as to whether the pump would be enough to run multiple blocks... (i plan on starting with just one for my CPU, then later upgrading to GPU and possibly NB cooling... maybe even a neat HDD cooling plate i saw...) but other than that, i like how the reservoir and pump are combined in a bay drive with a display like that quite a bit...
and whats your opinion on black ice radiators (what i was thinking about getting)? or radiators in general?
its looking like im going to be building my own loop, instead of buying a prebuilt case (the only cases i can find are full or super tower... and thats just too big : /)

so do you have any recommendations in general for building my own loop?
keep in mind my current case size (again, i can post pics if need be) and also that i want to eventually take the loop out and switch cases at some point... and my budget (pref > $2-300)...
but other than that, id love to hear any suggestions you have...
and thanks a lot - RK

Closed Thread