help with overclocking - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Closed Thread
Old 03-31-2007, 09:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Re: help with overclocking

I wonder, what is the 5200's stock voltage?
I'm thinking that 1.6 is too high for any type of air cooling. Myself, I have liquid cooling and I would still not put my vcore that high. If I remember correctly, on my 4800, I have it sitting at 1.57v and 2800 MHz. That's a 400 MHz overclock.
Run orthos for 16 hours (and however much more time you're willing to spare on top of that) and see if it's stable, first of all. If it is, then drop the vcore slightly until it becomes unstable. At that point, raise it to the last stable position.
If it doesn't pass after your first 16+ hour run, then drop the vcore to 1.55 to 1.57 and see if it's stable. In my experiences, I've found that a too-high vcore can actually be detrimental to stability. You have to spend time to find the sweet spot.
One thing is for sure, you need to drop that vcore. I got vcore happy once when I first got liquid cooling and I had the vcore at about 1.65 or something, wondering why I wasn't getting 3.0 GHz easy. They told me not only am I ruining my new CPU, I was also ruining places that you probably don't even have passive cooling on, like memory controllers. If you have MBM5, you should probably see your PWMIC going crazy. True, that part can withstand 120c, but when I had 1.65v on my CPU, within the first 5 minutes it was already at 95c. With some steady orthos on it, I could've really screwed it up. I'm glad I came here first. O_O

[CPU: e6600 @ 3300 MHz] // [MB: ASUS P5N-E SLi] // [RAM: Patriot 'eased latency' PC2-6400 @ DDR800 5-4-4-12-2T] // [GPU: 8800GTX @ 650/1000/1600 (volt modded)] // [HDD: 2x Cavier 500GiB stripe] // [Chassis: Thermaltake Armor VA8000 (black)] // [PSU: Aspire(Apevia) 680w] // [OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64][Cooling: water cooled GPU and CPU]
^ (9/7/2010): Ha, I remember when that was the stuff. My water cooling has since leaked and fried my mobo. So now I'm rocking an MSI laptop with an i5 430m :)
Closed Thread