Hdd cooling, is it really necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After installing a 2nd HDD I noticed my case temps going up a lot. I also noticed my HDD temps being higher than my CPU at times. I installed a dual fan on both HDDs and have since noticed my HDD temps dropping a few degrees and my case temps dropping significantly.

Ya im running three hard drives right now, two of em are raptors. I have one smaller fan infront and a 120mm fan above it faceing out. But it sounds like if youre running thee like I am, itd be smart to get a HD cooler. One of those ones that sticks in an optical drive bay. I kind of regret buying a 36gig raptor instead of saveing up a litle more so i could of had two 74gigs and my 160gig.

It's all about Airflow baby!!!

JUST COOLER has a few hard drive fans.

JUST COOLER HD-200 and JUST COOLER HD-100 are my favorites they promote AIR FLOW. It taking the blowing cold air onto the drive, and pushing the hot air way. Mind you, you might want to have some sort out take in the rear of your case.

The Just Cooler HD-600 are good at removing the hot air, but there is little cool air coming in to replace it. So I would do with some thing like the Just Cooler HD-815, And maybe a front case fan to improve air flow.

Failing that, you don't mind modding your PC, install some front fan in front of your hard drives.
Also, if you have the space to do it inside your case, leave a spare drive bay free between your hard drives.

To me, keeping a hard drive cool is not just about removing the hot air, but making sure there is some cooler air coming in too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom