Cooling with a regular desk fan? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 04:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Cooling with a regular desk fan?

I always keep the side panel of my case open, but my processor can still get pretty hot. I was curious, is it safe to set a small desk fan by the PC and let it blow air into the case? I set one up for an hour just to test it and I dropped almost 10 degrees! What about magnetic fields etc? Before I make this a common practice I want to make sure it will not cause damage.

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Evga 275 GTX
500GB Seagate Sata 2 HDD
250GB Western SATA2 HDD
Corsair 850TX Power Supply
Cooler Master Centurion 5 case
Samsung 2693HM 26" LCD
Microsoft Keyboard
Logitech MX518 Mouse
Geek Squad 875VA Back-UP UPS
Windows XP SP3
Old 11-09-2004, 06:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

You CAN do it....a lot of people have, I've done it before, but you're just going to get a LOT more dust build up in your system...if you're referring to the magnetic fields from the fan motor, yeah I would worry about that, not quite enough energy to do anything there. But yeah 10 degrees sounds about right, but you can achieve a lot more with the proper fan setup...or just plain having enough of them

Old 11-11-2004, 10:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to 4W4K3

i bought an oscilating fan at walmart for $40...it's "computer friendly" an emits no computer killing rays of death (w/e there called) i tested it just in case right next to my monitor to see if the image was distorted...was fine. i use it now...it's got a built in temp probe for the air in the room and different speed levels and stuff. can lower from 5C-10C...i'd buy another if i could use one on both sides of the case lol it's huge though...about 3.5ft tall, i set it next to desk.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

mine desk fan does make my image go a bit wobbly so do you think it will be alright cooling down my comp as long as i dont have it too close?

Old 01-11-2005, 08:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to 4W4K3

Quote:
Originally posted by willsko87
mine desk fan does make my image go a bit wobbly so do you think it will be alright cooling down my comp as long as i dont have it too close?
i think it would be OK. i read that it can blow "charged air" into your rig and degrade it over time...bu i don't know if i believe that.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

before you spend $40, or even $10 on a normal fan to run w/ the side of your computer off, visit some case modding websites, and look into "ducting" or adding a "blowhole" to your case. I have ducted my cpu, which ran around 45 degrees c (3200+ 754 pin), and now it stays around 35 under a full load, and around 29 when I'm playing around in windows.

The cost can be as little as about $1 or so to do this. Much better idea then leaving the side of your comptuer off.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Techie

I suggest getting 2 120mm fans. One exhaust and One Intake of course. Somthing with 80++CFM. If you are serious about cooling, then a new heatsink, and a 80mm CPU fan with around 50+ CFM. Thats some cooling.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

The duct method like potato works the best. I wanted to do it myself but on svc.com they no longer have the premade duct mod like I wanted =/

Also I'd need a 92 to 80mm fan adapter so my CPU can go to the rear with the duct. But then I have another problem, my thermalright SLK-900A holds the fan on via clips instead of screws, so I don't know how I'd go about putting the duct mod on the top of the CPU fan plus holding it down =/
Old 01-11-2005, 09:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to lazerman Send a message via Yahoo to lazerman

I plan on buying (or finding from a junkyard) one of those 12 volt fans that go in front of the radiator to cool it off. I will be installing it into the back of my desk, with a potentiometer to control it's speed. LOL I could hook up a receiver pack and electronic speed control and use my rc remote to control the fan speed! Not a very "silent" way to beat nubius's record on TF oc but it should work.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

lol I didn't realize it was a competition among the mobile users That's two posts where you swear to DESTROY ME lazerman lol

Good luck with that

If I had money to throw away I'd go as high as I could just so it can barely boot into windows I'm sure it could go to 2.9 under those circumstance but yeah I'm not too thrilled to try that.

EDIT: I can get 2.7GHz completely 100% stable, so thats my record as far as actual stability and 2.8 is the top speed achieved and bootable into windows for me

Closed Thread