case ideas please ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arctic388

In Runtime
looks good to me. perhaps you could ditch the case and buy a more standard one and an additional drivebay temp readout. what graphics card and other components are you using? 550w may be overkill and you might be able to settle for the 430 or 480w model. the 480w model serves me fine and i've got a lot more power than it seems you will be running

ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 Ultra MCP ATX AMD Motherboard,
eVGA 128-TC-2N27-SX Geforce 6200 LE TC Supporting 512MB (On board 128MB) 64-bit DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card,
OCZ 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit System Memory,
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive,
NEC optical,
3500 AM2
with xp plus.

just a basic system.

i'm learning about all the components now i'm learning about the case and fans and wiring which i know nothing about.

i just want a decent looking case and really want temp readouts.

please consider i'm currently on a old pc. (98se)

so enlighten me on anything ? that is why i'm asking

i'm impressed. that is quite a decent looking build. you even chose DDR2-800 which is the way to go i hear :) as the memory controller apparently doesn't like the odd numbered DDR2-533 or DDR2-667.

i had a 6200TC and they do perform better than people give them credit for but they really are not that great. i believe the 7300GS is in that price range and is supposed to be significantly better not to mention includes the perks of the 7XXX series.

i didn't say you can't have the temp readouts, you just asked for an alternative for that case. i don't know of any cases that have guages like that one but you can get devices that take the place of a cd/dvd drive and have similar guages

i've been studying on this stuff for over 4 months now. just to build a "basic" PC. all i studied was socket 939, then now they spring this new AM2 on me and i "crammed" on it for 2 weeks now. mostly what i have learned comes for this very forum.

i'll check into the 7300 and i didnt even know/consider i could have a readout on one of them bays. now that is an idea i'll have to investigate further. cause i could get a cheaper case and gauges if they price of both doesnt negate the original case price. i'd have a lot more case options going that way though.

so recommend a "good" PSU or case ?

my original idea was to build as good as i could cause i wouldnt be upgrading or anything but now that i know all this stuff i cant see me not "tinkering" with it from time to time to make it better.

i have both that case and psu. the psu is great lotsa power, i'd stick with the 550w, it will give you room to expand.
the case on the other hand i wish i went with something a bit bigger. i love the look of the case personally, but it was my first build also. when it comes to wire management this case can be a tad small.
if you have a large graphics card like i do there isn't much room between the hd's and the card if you plan to install multiple hard drives in the future. intalling multiple hd's in reverse requires you to stagger them if you want to still keep the dual 80mm fans in the front. infact i can only realistically fit two in the hidden bays with my fans and with the graphics cards i have. my other hd i had to install in the upper bay.

also the led instructions to wire this case are shiet, hopefully your mobo instructions will be clearer.

btw the asus board comes with a tempurature utility that fairly acurately shows the temps you want to monitor. the case temp sensor will only reach as far as your hd, so you will only be reading your hd or inside case temp.

thanks for the info.

considering i have a 13GB HD now and its not even 25% i think i should be ok with the 320 for a long time.

the only thing i think will be upgraded is the video card but that will be a while i'm sure. i dont game any but the more i'm learning i bet i will get into it.

thats what you say now, your already planning on upping the graphics card, and you can't stop tinkering. soon you'll have dual raptors and liquid cooling.

i would urge to go with a 3800+ ins tead of the 3500+, it might be a tad more for dual core but well worth it. even just for simple office tasks and web browsing.

you know that would be funny if it were'nt so true. LOL
right now i'm searching cases as an excuse to wait till conroe comes out and hopefully them prices will come down like people are predicting. I am seriously looking at the 3800. i just cant justify that price yet.

i got that psu too :) tis butta!

i got the aspire x-navigator case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811144167
real roomy, changeable face plates... i've had several ppl tell me its the coolest puter theyve ever seen... but they arnt big into moding :rolleyes:
two temp probes, one thermocouple goes right on the HD, the other to the cpu... the temp on the cpu is usally a deg C or 2 off what the bios reads, built in fan control to the blowhole to suck out the air coming off the psu.

pretty nice design, imo.... sell off the psu that comes with it and itll cost as much as the other! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom