Building 101

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosencrantz

Solid State Member
Alrite, well I'm not exactly a huge gamer although I do play some Half-Life 2 and of course CS and UT. I wanted to build a computer this summer and am just doing a lil bit of research before. I'm getting from this forum that the 6600GT is a good vid card for the price and should handle these kinda games well. Also that the AMD 64 cpu is the way to go (maybe 3400?) and I'm guessing a good ABIT mobo with 939 socket (don't wanna scrounge with this). Some good 2x512mb RAM (nor this). Also a good sound card (no idea bout this) but that shouldnt be too difficult. Also mobos come with ethernet nowadays, right?

I want my case to be quiet and light (maybe aluminum case doesnt hafta be fancy, prob no window, the innards of my comp are prob somethin i wont want to show off) and a solid 450ish wt psu. I figure I can put in a 200 GB 7200 SATA Drive of some (maybe Seagate). In addition I want to put in a CD-RW and a DVD-RW. I know all of this is available right now, and hopefully the prices will drop more by summer. I was just wondering what components are best right now for my purpose (a good desktop that handles games pretty well and is quiet/cool).

Mostly, I just want to learn a little bit more about computers so I figure building one is a good experience and is not that difficult. I don't want to spend over 1g, I do have my own Windows XP Pro w/SP2. I was just wondering what advice you guys could give me on the parts and/or changes of these parts by summer.

Also, are you planning on using any parts from other computers? Or is this an entire build from scratch?

Geez I suck at this posting thing. I just have windows + a LCD monitor, the comp is gonna be from scratch.

Its good that you already have a monitor and Windows, because they make up a lot of the cost in a computer.

I'll have a look on www.newegg.com and see what I can come up with.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 512KB L2 Cache, Socket 939 64-bit Processor - Retail $146

MOBO: ASUS "A8N-SLI" nForce4 SLI Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU -RETAIL $169

VID CARD:EVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT Video Card, 128MB GDDR3, 128-Bit, DVI/TV-Out, PCI-Express, Model "128-P2-N368-TX" -RETAIL $179

RAM: Kingston ValueRAM Dual Channel Kit 184 Pin 1G(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 - Retail $90

HDD: Seagate 200GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model ST3200822AS, OEM Drive Only $127

OPTICAL DRIVE:LG Electronics DVD+/-RW 16X Mulitformat Drive, Model GSA-4163BI - Retail $66

CASE:ASPIRE X-Infinity Silver ATX Mid-Tower Case with 350W Power Supply, Model"ATXB6KLW-AL/350" -RETAIL $60.50

PSU: Antec 550W Power Supply, Model "TRUE550" - Retail $102

TOTAL: $939.50

oh good point, don't want that.

wow the 3000+ 64 is a good bit cheaper, like 70 bucks.

if its not a big speed decrease, that sounds like a good plan.

also i don't think i need SLI, i won't install another vid card anytime soon.

lol, and that case looks super smooth but:

a) I can't pull that off
b) the window will display my wiring inadequacies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom