Athlon 64-Bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinG

Baseband Member
hello,

I have looked around for abit for an explination on the differences from a amd64 and lets say a 3200 xp. The reason i ask is because i am stuck desiding if i should get a 3200 XP or a 3200 64bit with 1mb cach. For starters what would the biggest known difference be .i no there are no 64 bit programs... but since it runs 64 and programs today run 32 will their be an increase in performance ? Also now i took some info tech classes in school about cpu's and computer stuff... but never learned what the cach on cpu does, or how it will help performance?

so basicly whats difference between 3200xp and 3200 64bit, and how would cach help me out.

And would u suggest a 64 or xp ( im into GAMING ! and also probly be last pc/ pc upgrade for 2 or 3 years :( ...) ?

Thanks
Keving

ohh yeah... right now for the 64 bit if i were to get it im looking at a K8V SE Deluxe by ASUS or something like that.... from what i read its a good mobo for gaming and stuff... is their anything cheaper and better or is that the best ill get for the price ?

Thank you
kevin

The 64-bits are not yet used to their full potential, however windows is currently in a 64-bit beta test period so im sure it won't be too long before everything goes that way.
At the moment the AMD 64's are faster than the P4 equivalents from what I have seen (and they will get faster as they are utilised more).
The extra cache on a chip as i understand it is used to store common common functions and data that the processor thinks will be needed next. So by having more of it, it is more likely that the data the processor needs will be in the very fast cache (compared to RAM or HDD).

For gaming I dont think you will get a better chip at the moment, unless you spend out for an intel Extreme. Oh, and motherboard wise I would get a VIA chipset as it is meant to be faster than the nforce one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom