Not open for further replies.

lazer_viking

In Runtime
System:
e6600
Patriot DDR800 5-5-5-15
p5n-e 650i sli
8800GTX x1

This board has some issues overclocking RAM, as my memory is not stable at anything over DDR800. Afaik, it is stable @ 800, but not 805. It is very picky about timings too. Basically anything even a little over SPD will not be stable and will blue screen within 5-10 minutes.
I've read reviews on Anandtech and several other respected hardware reviewers where they confirm my problem.
So my question is this: While I'm waiting for ASUS to release a BIOS to fix this problem (as Anandtech predicted they would..), are there any performance losses by running the RAM and CPU FSB unlocked? When I first started and learned about OC'ing, I read how a RAM:FSB ratio of anything other than 1:1 will decrease performance. But is that still true to date? Currently, my RAM at 1:1 is holding back my CPU overclock...
Thanks.

Also, jst wondering, does anyone else reading this with a p5n-e have this problem as well?

memtest86 +

Google it, download it, Burn .iso to disk. Boot off of it, run for 4 hours minimum.

Report amount of errors.
If lots then bad memory and RMA..

I have the P5N-E. Which BIOS do you have? I'm using v0401, and I've heard that it's the most overclockable BIOS version. For me, it seems to overclock ok. On my ram, I have it set to 5-5-5-12, and I've gotten mine to 825+. My ram voltage is set to spec, at 1.92v...

not sure what bios i have ill check next time i go to boot menu, anyway i love this mobo my ram easily over clocks to 900+ mhz without any voltage increases , when you oc the proc through the fsb select linked.

Really?....I always had mine unlinked, and it overclocked higher, compared to when I tried linked.

you can run your fsb past 400mhz?
if you can...then you just need to put in a divider (which im sure you know). i dont think that running the ram at a divider different than 1:1 has the negative impact on intel c2ds (you have intel, right?) that it did with their previous cpus. i could be wrong, but i dont think it is that big of a deal anymore. if it is, im sure that an increase in clock speed will make up for it.

Well based on what you guys have said (and definatly if Raknor is telling the truth) I've decided I just got cheap RAM. Well, not cheap, because there's 4GB, but low quality.

I've ran some overnighter memtest86+'s (it took awhile guys, sorry) and it looks like 360MHz is as high as it will go @ 5-5-5-15 1T. @ 5-5-5-15 2T however, it goes up to 425MHz. I am not at all happy with these results though. (All of these tests were run with the CPU @ 8x, so it is indeed either the motherboard or RAM causing the instability.) These tests were run in 'Sync Mode' which apparently is 1/2 of the QDR FSB or w/e silly thing the motherboard does. My motherboard is stable up to 415 MHz without any voltage increases.

The reason I blamed the motherboard is because of several reviews I read regarding how bad this motherboard overclocked. Here's one...
Techgage said:
The reason I chose 2T as opposed to 1T for the ram clock is simple... this board is not for ram overclocking. I found this out quickly and even blamed my CPU at first, but it definitely wasn't the case. The problem is, this board doesn't seem to want to clock -any- ram beyond DDR2-1000 speeds, regardless of what timings you are running. The folks at AnandTech backed up my findings, by relaying the same issue. However, they seem to have had more success than I did.

In their review, they mention that DDR2-800 speeds at 1T is fine and dandy. I had the opposite experience. DDR2-800 1T would boot fine and be somewhat reliable for Windows use, but as soon as I tried benchmarking, the computer would either halt or reboot. I tried this with two different kits of high-end ram and experienced the same issue. I also tested 1T using both 2.0v and 2.2v, but it made no difference.

Also in their review, they noted that they could use their OCZ Flex ram at DDR2-1066 speeds with 5-6-6 timings. Even though that combination of speed and timings makes me want to cry, I gave it a shot. This was a failure also. I tried to boot with this combination at 2.5vdimm and the PC would not even POST. AnandTech has had better luck than I did, apparently. ASUS is currently in the process of developing a new BIOS to combat this issue, and to me it's a huge issue.

So I don't know what to think. I sort of wish someone would tell me it's my RAM, because there isn't anything better in 4GB kits thats affordable at this point, so it's not my fault ^_^. I was thinking about buying an after market cooler w/ fans for the SPP and putting some ram-sinks on the MCP and seeing if that clears up my problem a bit. What do you guys think?

edit: It appears ASUS came out with a new BIOS (0607) a couple days ago. Going to see if that make anything better.

edit: Granted I'm only 5 minutes into my memtest86, I'm running @ 376 MHz @ 5-5-5-12-1T. It's amazing. 360 MHz @ 5-5-5-15-1T used to give errors and/or freeze memtest within the first 20 seconds. I'm thrilled :D

woot good job!
now try tightening the timings even more! both my gskill HZ and my corsair XMS2C4 can run DDR2 700-730 speed at 3-3-3-9-1T timings...NASTY. takes a little bit of playing around with the settings...but if your ram is rated at 5-5-5-15 2T, you should definitely (hopefully lol) be able to drop the timings to AT LEAST 4-4-4-12-1T (maybe 2T), since you are running a bit below the spec'd speed of 800mhz. maybe even 3 timings, give it a shot!

unfortunatly, that test failed 45 minutes in.
yesterday i tried 5-5-5-15-2T at DDR2 800 and it was still unstable.
what the ****. idk if its my RAM or mobo. its too late to RMA anything.....

ps. my ram is actually rated for 5-5-5-12 at ddr800. idk if its 1t or 2t, cant find it documented anywhere, but im assuming its 2t.
also, something i find strange, raising voltage actually makes it less stable. any insight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom