Yes, the FX is a big price boost in price, and he is already reaching the limit.
Aboutt the 2 gigs of ram....
Maybe you should consider buying ONE stick of 1gig, and buying another (exactly the same) when you get the cash if you are worried about it. Although you should buy it in pairs, im just making suggestions.
And the sound card. I would also wait until you get a litter more cash and buy this later. All the 64 bit boards have at least 5.1 sound, and most have 6.1, some with 7.1, and it is not bad at all. A sound card isn't neccessary immediatly, I would just hold off on that. But the ram is an issue I agree.
I could see how some people recoomend 2gigs. But he just doesn't have the cash, and he shouldn't downgrade his CPU to afford more ram. Is there anyway you could caugh for 2 gigs if you needs to? It isn't often I recommend 2 gigs, but it sounds like you may beniefit from more than 1.
REMEMBER, this is why I chose a MOBO with 4 dimm slots, you can always add 2 more 512 sticks and make it dual channel still with 2 gig.
Either way good luck.
Sig removed due to foul language. Please read the rules regarding the allowable content of sigs before reposting your COMPLIANT sig.