about motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

geo3tech

In Runtime
what makes a motherboard better then other motherboards?
As you can see, i'm pretty new in the computer industry and want some tips to choosing the best motherboards with the price that i want.

some tips plz?? =)

Motherboards are tricky. I guess what make some better than others are the chipsets, wether it supports Dual Channel, and ofcourse, the type of processor it accomodates. Do a little research and check out some benchmarks at tomshardwareguide.com

The architecture can make a board faster, along with a good chipset that supports lots of features, SATA, AGPx8, Wi-Fi, Dual Channel, DDR2 main memory...

Also, as a lot of builders know, the layout of the board means a lot. Sometimes the AGP card can get in the way when you try and remove a stick of RAM, you have to remove the VGA card first.

You should also check what you get bundled with the board, some boards bundle Norton Anti-virus/Internet Security 2004... also check to see if you get round IDE cables and round Floppy cables...

There is a lot to check when getting a motherboard.

Yes, the worst thing you could possibly do is buy the parts for a computer uninformed, I ended up with a piece of shit motherboard and graphics card because of it.

many many factors cpu socket, memory speed, amount of memory slots, dual channel or no, pci slots, agp speed, layout, chipset, and probably about 50 more!

I'd wait for the new BTX form factor. It's realigned all the pci slots and RAM slots are away from the PCI-X slots. No more AGP. it will have at least one 16x PCI slot.(that equates to a theroetical 8 gig stream.)

BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR in these form factors are the SYSTEM BUS speeds. variable speeds to achieve 2:1 Cpu to RAM bus.

ex. the New Apple G5's have 1.25 ghz Front Side Bus for a 2.5 Ghz cpu., compare that with a 3.4 Ghz AMD on a 800mhz FSB.

The New BTX form factors will allow such speeds for the front side bus.

get it?

but we don't know when the btx form is gonna come out..
i'm planning of buying a new computer like this month.

does btx form have to have a different style case compared to the regulars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom