8GB and overclocking - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 08:06 PM   #21 (permalink)
The Bulldog

Default Re: 8GB and overclocking

OK, say 15 years form now, we get to the level where MMOs have graphics the level of say, the Matrix. How many gigabytes of ram do you think you will need?

ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
Old 09-30-2008, 10:24 PM   #22 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

You just proved my point, "15 years from now." Therefore making it pointless to buy 8 gigs now. And that's IF we get to that level, which really isn't that likely. At some point it will reach somewhat of a peak.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:28 PM   #23 (permalink)
The Bulldog

Dude you obviously missed the point of my post. I said that it is not a question of if, but when and how much. I said that you will always need more as time goes on. You misread my post.

ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
Old 09-30-2008, 10:52 PM   #24 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

not really. if anything u misread mine as i said we wont need that for approx 10 years.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:09 PM   #25 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Who says we wont need it for 10 years? The only reason, and the biggest reason, why developers for games dont make games use that much RAM is because there are VERY FEW people who have that much. So they would limit the amount of money they would make per game sold compared to the development costs of the game.

I bet that Crysis, BioShock, Assassins Creed all could perform much better if they used, or for a better term were programmed to use, 3GB or 4GB of RAM there would be a need for it. Espically if you were using Vista. Then 8GB would not be that far of a stretch.

You are looking at this from teh wrong perspective. You are looking at it cause right now the norm for a PC that is being sold is 1GB possibly 2GB. There are very few basic machines that are sold with much more. Gaming machines are starting to go with 4GB now.

If everyone had teh capability to have 4GB or 8GB adn it was common to have, you best be sure that software would be designed to use it. Games, 3D GFX, Image software all of it would be developed to use it.

Right now 8GB is a stretch for people to have. 4GB is starting to become more common. But if any developer wants to actually make money from what they are developing they have to keep the requirements low for those who do not upgrade and build high end PC's.

THAT is the reason why 4GB and 8GB of RAM are not totally necessary yet. Not anything else. It will be less than 10 years when we start to see 4GB become more and more common and high end machines have more.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 09-30-2008, 11:55 PM   #26 (permalink)
The Bulldog

Well said Mak.

ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
Old 10-01-2008, 02:16 AM   #27 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to gurusan

4gb is standard now for gamers, with nehalem 6gb will be standard for gamers and 9gb for enthusiasts...

10-15 years? Come on guys......
|| 37" LCD TV || CM Hyper 212+ || Samsung 2.1 Soundbar ||
Old 10-01-2008, 03:54 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurusan View Post
4gb is standard now for gamers, with nehalem 6gb will be standard for gamers and 9gb for enthusiasts...

10-15 years? Come on guys......
I agree, im getting 6GB's hopefully because otherwise it would be 3GB....
And in 15 years ill be twice my age.

Quote:
Right now 8GB is a stretch for people to have. 4GB is starting to become more common. But if any developer wants to actually make money from what they are developing they have to keep the requirements low for those who do not upgrade and build high end PC's.
Yeah! Like Crysis!
Old 10-01-2008, 10:49 AM   #29 (permalink)
gone

Send a message via AIM to Gabb

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmatt View Post
Software doesn't use energy, hardware does. I think what you mean is DX10 games are more demanding than DX9 games, which is true. Although the biggest determinant to Grpahics performance is your graphics card, not memory. Although memory is important.

But with 8 gigsw you run into a problem.
#1 its expensive
#2 it hurts OC performance
#3 you wont realistically use 8 gigs on a pc today
#4 even if you had crysis, photoshop, cod4 and premeir all open at the same time to fill up that 8 gigs, you would choke on your cpu and video card first.
#5 memory does not directly impact system performance, so you wont see a boost. memory only helps when you go from an insufficient amount to enough.

I have 4 gigs of ram. it didn't make hardly any difference in gaming performance over 2 gigs. This is probably due to the fact that crysis doesn't even use a gig of ram itself. If I wanted to improve gaming I would get a better cpu or video card first.
Hmmm I wish you guys were around to answer my thread when I asked what was the performance difference between 2 gigs and 4 gigs. Some say the jump is big and I will definitely notice a difference in games like Crysis Warhead, others say I wonít even notice at all. The reason I ask is because I build my computer a year ago with 2 gigs of ram, and since ram is so cheap now adays ( not the ram I have right now though ) I was wondering If it was worth it to upgrade to a brand new 4 gigs of ram stick and had questions like is it worth it price/performance wise to get the cheap corsair xms2 ram with slower timings for 4 gigs then dishing out another 100 bucks for that OCZ ram everyones recommending.
X-Fi Xtreme Gamer card, Logitech G5 series 2
Corsair K90 keyboard, Dell 24" U2412M monitor
Old 10-01-2008, 12:18 PM   #30 (permalink)
Everything to Nothing

Send a message via MSN to Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmatt View Post
If you have a skultrail based system then it would make more sense. But who actually has one?

My rig

Closed Thread