The Memory Haunting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graham

In Runtime
So, I'm thinking of getting a new system, but as stated in the subject I am terrified on making a choice about memory. I have heard nothing but "Vista is going to rape memory needs" so it appears 2GB is going to quickly become obsolete. I already see a few 4GB (2x2GB) dual channel kits on newegg.com, so it certainly seems true. The latency timings and price are terrible for them, but I bet they will be handy to have.

Does anyone know if 2GB will be a safe memory amount for at least a year or two to come? I can always upgrade memory later, but would prefer to wait if it is going to be absolutely necessary to run newer games well with Vista.

Other than that there is no doubt in my mind about core 2 36600, 8800gts by eVGA, and an Asus or MSI mobo.

Also I'm waiting to see the post-holiday sales show up after New Year's :D

KBlair said:
Vista pre-builds worked fine on my 1GB RAM machine. 2GB should be fine.

Thank you so much!

Next question: If I were to get a non-standard clocked ram such as this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146563

What kind of motherboard and knowledge do I need to set it up with my PC? I'm getting a E6600 and preferably a non-expensive motherboard since the prices on them are getting rediculous. The price for this memory is pretty **** good for PC8000 by crucial ballistix.

Other than that I think I am all set for a new build.

LOL 2GB will last a few more years. Becuase recomended by microsoft is 1gb. Recomended in windows I think is 512. Games these days dont require more than 2GB of memory. It's not like games will becomes twice as powerful just becuase of windows. Just the interface of XP takes more ram to navigate and things. Not only that, the geforce 8 series cards come with shitloads of video ram to handle games. So what i'm saying is I would say 2GB even in vista will be fie for at least a year after its release.

First of all, a kinda off topic reply: I wouldn't recommend to get Vista as a new-release OS is always bound to have lots of problems which will only be fixed long its release year with new patches/updates.

Back to your question: All you need to do is making sure that you get a MoBo that supports PC2-8000 DDR2-1000MHz modules, and that it supports the working voltage of these modules. There is little knowledge needed as these things are pretty much plug n' play. However in rare cases you'll need to manually adjust the timings in BIOS first before you can get the RAM to work on that MoBo. That you will have to refer to your MoBo's manufacturer for BIOS settings since every make and model is different.

Grahom most memory these days are almost all the same as in. You will see DDR2-800 that is 4-4-4-12 then 5-5-5-15 and the 4's will be 15 bucks more. Yet you fail to see that the 4-4-4-12 is 2.0v or so and the 5' is 1.8v. What most companies do is just take a stick just like that up the voltage a few points and the timings can run faster. Even though you could do the same with 5-5-5-15 one at 1.8 people dont know that and newegg is the king site for people who dont know what their buying exactly or what their talking about.

Value ram though which is 1.8 at 5-5-5-15 wont OC much if at all so there are exceptions. Dont pay more for higher DDR2 ram either just get DDR-800 and overclock it yourself. My cheap 115 G.Skill DDr2-800 ram can clock out at 540mhz+ at 2.2v it came stock at 1.8v 5-5-5-12.

Like I said I had it at 5-5-5-12 at DDR2-1080 just by increasing the voltage. Read up LOTS AND LOTS about everything before buying systems and ask questions just as you are doing right now. Thus when its time to order you'll be able to get a better system with the same cash as the naive kid who just put the stuff with the most reviews in their cart off newegg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom